Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bugs in my (wine) cellar?!? * Photos

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Bugs in my (wine) cellar?!? * Photos

Hello to everyones!
    I was so happy about my new project as I found that after more than one month someone is eating my Nepenthes! I have damages only on little and medium Nepenthes...they did not seem to have touch the big briggsiana....maybe it is not so tasty for them!

What it does surprise me is that there should not be any bugs in the Wine cellar or at least not any insect that can damage plants! Don't you thing?

Do you have any idea of what is going to eat my plants?
    It seems to be something little.... I hope that it is only one bug and that it will fall catched into one of my plants!

What would you do if you would have the same problem?

I dont' think that ants or butterflies do this....or? Maybe maggosts or something similar?
    Should I put lots of drosera into my cellar in order to kill this thing? I think that it comes out only while lights are off....

Any experiences or ideas? I live in Italy!

Bye!

Mr_Aga

Mr_Aga
    http://www.piantecarnivore.org

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it possible some slug or snail eggs could have gotten into the potting media you use?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello ChunkyHunks!
    The potting media? Could be...why not....but the plants are not from new arrival. I had them one month into my cellar and nothing happened.

I HAVE AN IDEA : if I find some SPIDERS outside and put them on the plants?

SECOND IDEA : I could put some Droseras between the plants in order to try to get rid of the BUG?
    Mr_Aga

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It probably wouldn't hurt to put the drosera in there. As for the spiders, I wouldn't go through the trouble until you know what you are dealing with. If they are doing the damage at night, then I say go down there with a flashlight at night and try to catch the culprit.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I actually saw bugs like that in my nepenthes enclousure flying around whenever I spray my plants. I haven't yet seen any bite marks on any of my plants and trust me....I have some real small plants including some seedlings. Good luck finding them Mr. Aga. You have spectacular plants there. Hope u find the culprit and condemn it to death in that "toilet bowl plant's pitcher".

BTW....I have put some spiders with my neps. THey do no damage to the plants....except from the fact that they build webs all over the plants...especially the smaller one...but I never saw any bad effects. I put this very big 2 inch spider that i found in there....but i can't find it anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    going by the bite marks on the leaf its likely something with well developed strong jaws, snail or slug is unlikely.....guessing cricket or grasshopper type critter......wouldnt rule out mice nibbling on them either....i have had that happen before......except mine preferred rare Utrics for their salad over the neps..
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yesterday I went to do some job in my cellar and maybe I have disturbed its peace because at least this morning when i went to give a look with lamps off and a little led lamp in my hand I did not see any more bites or bug.
    Anyway i will check often and maybe put some drosera and spider in it.After all it is not a stupid idea.
    I will also spray more often and much water with the hope to disturb or kill the bug.
    Promise that I will keep you informed.
    I never though that I would have a problem like this in a cellar!
    MrAga
    italy
    Mr_Aga

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Actually MrAga I am surprised too of the bugs. Basements and cellars would probably be most prone to bugs. My VFT's have naturally caught 3 earwigs and my pygmy sundews have succumbed a blue bottle fly all by themselves (it was a single scorpioides). There are also quite a few spiders around. The bugs I have really been getting annoyed with is pill bugs or wood lice. During summer they are common in basements and they have driving me crazy. The plants are fine...as they haven't been attacking them...but they are useless to feed as they stink and the plants don't seem to like them. The one big scare was I saw a dying weevilabout the size of a small fly next to my setup. I freaked out. Looks like it got tired by flying around the light and hitting it with its head....but nothing seems to be showing any damage...so I hope there aren't any weevils here any more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast