Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Nepenthes Velvet Flower Spike

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepenthes Velvet Flower Spike - UPDATE!

Hi guys. Of course my plants decide to do exciting things in my last 1.5 weeks in Germany. Luckily, I hear the little thing just emerged. Hopefully I can get some pictures later today, and I'll put them up on here. I still don't know the sex, so hopefully once I figure it out I can get some swapping underway so that there are some seeds. Does anybody know if x. Velvet is sterile like Miranda? Anyhow, watch for an update. I'll be home on the 23rd, so hopefully it can hold off til then. I really want to see it!
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    great job getting a flower!!! my Nepenthes Ipu (one of the hawaiian hybrids ventricosa x (ventriocsa x maxima)) is sending out its first flower too. i dont have a sex id either, maybe we can get some seed though!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I doubt that any Nep hybrid is currently sterile. If so, could someone post a link to information about it?

There was a Hawaiian hybrid made between N. miranda and N. maxima, if I am not mistaken. Please, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Congrats on the flower by the way!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Congrats on the flower, put me down for some seed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    I doubt that any Nep hybrid is currently sterile. If so, could someone post a link to information about it?

There was a Hawaiian hybrid made between N. miranda and N. maxima, if I am not mistaken. Please, someone feel free to correct me if I'm wrong!

Congrats on the flower by the way!
    the N. Miranda from Deroose is sterile. as well as every TC hybrid they put out. there is a hormone malfunction with their TC medium that causes them all to be sterile. if this N. velvet is not from Deroose. then it is not only fertile. but also a male.

congrats on the flower! =]

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Update!

So today the first flower opened. I'm almost 100% positive its a dude. Oh well. If there is by any chance a lady out there looking, please let me know. BTW, how does one go about collecting Nepenthes pollen, and for how long does it store? I've looked around a bit, but haven't been able to find much. Does it store longer then seeds? PM me if you've got a gal!

Photobucket

Photobucket
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846