What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

kath

Katherine
I've sown some Nepenthes seed.
The seeds I've sown are:

Maxima
Reinwardtiana
Ampullaria
Ventricosa
Ventricosa x
Viking x Bical x Raff
Hookeriana x

I was wondering if anyone has info on how long it should take these seeds to germinate. My conditions are not ideal, but I think they are warm enough for the lowlands (18 degrees celcius absolute minmum, hovers around 25 degrees), humidity is above 75%, full direct light. Plenty of water?

I've heard its supposed to take 18 days for ampullaria, in which case mine are 4 dfays over due now. Is this a product of lower than ideal temps? Will the seeds just take longer to germinate?
Also, I've heard Maxima takes 4-5 weeks, and Reinwardtiana 2 months. Anyone have experince with this?

Thanks.

Be sure they get strong light and very high humidity and you shouldn't have too many problems. :)

Edit - Sorry, I jumped to conclusions - this probably wasnt the info you were looking for! :eek:

That's Ok. The light's pretty strong, as strong as winter light can get, and humidity's quite high. I have a fan for circulation too though so its not stagnant!

There is no specific date that Nepenthes germinate on or by. Some take days, some takes months. I don't know the specific generalization expected dates for those species, but it all depends on conditions and how fresh the seeds were. I'm not sure where you got 18 days from but I wouldn't throw them out for being 4 days "overdue." How fresh were the seeds?

xvart.

Hi Katherine,

I have them in lowland conditions, 28C at night and 32C during the day. Your lower temperatures will slow down the germination period. The 18 days period is observable in my conditions.

Nep seeds can take a while to germinate. N. reinwardtiana took the longest for me, about 14 months. And somehow the seeds like barely moist to moist media and tend to turn mouldy in very high humidity.

In theri appropriate habitat, they take exactly 18 days. This has been proven by the person I ogt the seed from. The seed has been wild collected, and is 14 days old maximum.

Thankyou for those observations Cindy.

xvart, I don't know where you got the idea I'd throw them out for being 4 days overdue. Don't jump to conclusions.

I'm regularly mointoring for fungus. They're on live sphagnum so no problems yet. :)
I run my fan regulalry each day to move the air and prevent stagnancy happening.

Cindy, just how long do Nep seeds remain viable? I can never get them to germinate, even when the temps are 30-35 C, 2" from a Grolite, and in an open swamp of media.

Back