What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Looking for a mate...

adnedarn

I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az
Admin
Hey everyone, I've been talking about my N. rafflesiana and how I felt it should flower any time now... So, today I'm looking at it.. and flower! :) Soo... Since they're round, I'm guessing it is a male. So I'm looking for a little lady. This is really early so I have quite a while to look around but please send me a pm if you've got a girl that will have about the same timing... Here is a camera phone pic of the flower...

0823081852.jpg

And some pics of the pitchers (from the end of last year..)

P1010163.JPG

P1010164.JPG

P1010166_001.JPG

P1010168.JPG

P1010169_001.JPG

Andrew

Ahh you sure it's a male?? I woulda wanted to give ya some N. x 'Judith Finn' pollen..that would prolly've made an interesting hybrid. :p

-Ben

not positive.. still so early. But they're pretty round. Which seems to be distinctive with male..

Also, I do know about the nep flower registry thing.. I may go to that if I don't get anything here. but would really rather play with you guys :)
Andrew

:crap: ... I have a male thorelii x aristo in bloom too...

My known female plants aren't too healthy right now - no flowers.

I beileve i have a female flower on my Nepenthes Ipu, one of the hawaiian hybrids its parentage is ventricosa x (ventricosa x maxima). It is close to opening its first bud and should be able take multiple pollen sources if anyone is interested

Would ya be interested in some of my N. x 'Judith Finn' pollen? The flower stalk is still developing, but the first flowers should open soon.

The parentage is N. veitchii x N. spathulata.

-Ben

My N. Velvet also appears to be a male, and should be opening any day now. Let me know if you're interested!

Back