Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ventricosa Troubles

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I've just noticed the same pattern showing up on all of mine... and a bit of webbing forming on my N. jacquelineae... 2 days before I leave my nepenthes in the hands of my parents to go away to college...

I've got ortho systemic but my sarracenia still aren't the same after I used it on them last year... guess I've got no choice.
    Trying to rebuild. Feel free to PM me with questions.

Grow/Want List

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm yet to see any webbing. Do all mites make webs?

EDIT: J.P. I really hope those orchids didn't have any problems that I sent you. If I would have known then that my Neps had problems I would of delayed shipping until I was sure. Please don't hate me . I hope everything works out for you.

Crystal
    Last edited by Crissytal; 08-27-2008 at 02:23 PM. Reason: edit
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It could have been me sending them to you who knows... I haven't found any on my N. mirabilis thankfully *they were on a different level of the shelf* but I wouldn't worry about it. Everything has been doused over here. Stupid me I mixed it half strength on accident... oh well Si es la vida.

After I read this tho I gave everything a good going over and the only problem I found on the orchids were 2 scale actually! I was very surprised. The only reason I bring this up is that you might want to check and see if they are anywhere else on your plants. I am still completely satisfied with our trade don't worry about it.

I didn't expect my collection to survive the first semester at college in my parents care anyway haha but really no worries. Still A+! trader in my book!!!

Grow/Want List

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Phew! Good to know you're not mad . I'm completely satisfied about our trade too. Thanks for letting me know about the scale you found, I had no idea. I'll give everything a good looking over. I doubt that the mites came from you. My vent looks like it's been suffering for awhile. It was pushed to the back, I just watered it every couple of days and didn't really pay much attention to it.

I certainly hope you don't lose your collection to your parents lol! You can't set up a terrarium to bring at least a few of them with you?

I'll be giving everything a good spraying down tomorrow after I get home from the store; it appears that I'll be doing shopping for everyone and will have quite a list! It seems like everyone is leaning toward the systemic stuff, so I'll aim for that.

Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would but A. the lights aren't allowed, B. a water balloon filled from up there could dent concrete and C. my roommate doesn't seem to be that enthused with the idea. I'm going to bring my ventrata and see if I can kill it off. If it survives the first semester I might consider the others.

I was so excited... my Sabre is sending out two basals... now watch it get fried due to the spray and I lose all three haha.

Grow/Want List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The orthene messed up your plants Ed? What did it do? I used mine a few weeks ago and haven't notice any side effects. Just curious.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crissytal View Post

If you don't mind me asking, what systemic are you using night?

Thanks,
    Crystal
    http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/pr...80&id=cat50080

That's what I used. I've only used it this one time, so my experience with it is very limited. I can say I have not seen any mites since treating them, but they are so small that it's possible there are a few stragglers. I'm really watching the plants.

Be warned, this stuff packs a real wallop - the smell is extremely potent and foul! Plus, from what I've read online you don't want that stuff to touch bare skin at all, don't inhale it, and don't let it in your eyes. I had to wear long pants, sleeves, gloves, goggles, and a filter mask. I pulled my plants out and sprayed them outside, right before sunset, and let them sit out there a while for the smell to disipate as I didn't want that smell circulating in here. It was a real hassle. Hopefully others will chime in with some suggestions.

I'm actually going to retreat them soon as the label recommends for mites.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh goodness nightsky please don't call me that haha. J.P. works fine

I used it on my Sarracenia catesbaei and the old growth turned deep deep red then black. All the new growth came back with twisted red and black growth. Looked like Stephen Kings "the thing." Just now are they starting to get back to normal...

-J.P.

Grow/Want List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast