What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ventricosa Troubles

Crissytal

What is and what should never be
I started noticing my N. ventricosa declining a few days ago. Upon inspection I found powdery orange/rust colored stuff all over on the bottom of the leaves. At first I thought it was 'rust'. From the descriptions I've read, rust is more in spots than all over. Maybe I misunderstood? What might it be?

P1020578.jpg

P1020579.jpg

P1020580.jpg

Thanks,
Crystal

Edit: I should also add that on the smaller plant, the leaves are getting much smaller and also have a yellowish hue to them. The larger plant is not yet making the smaller leaves or turning in color, but does have the odd 'rust' colored powder on the bottom of some leaves.

Last edited:
My ventricosa died in the very same manner.

The "rust" isn't a disease, it's just part of the dying process I'm pretty sure...

I presumed that mine was "under-fed", lack of proper nutrients........... <shrug>

Have you looked closely at the undersides with at least a 10x magnifier or better? Looks like mite damage to me.

Fryster, Tony,

Thanks for the information. I'm tempted to cut the smaller vent off due to it looking so bad.

I took a magnifier to it this morning. I did spot some whitish/translucent specks sort of like the color of clear dried silicon. I also found some nectar drops. My magnifier isn't 10x (I'm not sure what it is) so I'll have to pick one up to know for sure. For all I know the little dots could be dust. Where's a good place to get one on a budget?

Thanks guys,
Crystal

Heck, spray it with a systemic regardless. If it's dying anyway, whatcha got to loose?

I was able to do some more research on the subject and found an article on another forum that suggested to do a paper test. So I took the piece of white paper and held it under the leaf of my spec and tapped it a few times. I have some kind of infestation. The spec was right beside the vent that's showing problems (the vent is now moved but it looks like I caught it too late) and I noticed the leaves on the spec are starting to curl inwards. I'm not seeing any webbing. The little specks that fell onto the paper are tiny, and are a dark brown color. They are too small to see with my magnifing glass so I drew a circle around one to see if it moves. They do. The only pesticide that I have is soap based: Safer Insect Killing Soap with seaweed extract. It's good for Aphids, Mealybugs, Mites, Whiteflies and other pests. I read soap is bad so I guess I get to go to the store tomorrow. I'll do some more research on insecticides (I guess I need a general one since I'm not completely sure what they are) tonight when I get more time so I'll know what to get tomorrow.

Thanks everyone,
Crystal

That' what was happening to several of my plants recently also - same looking leaves. It really set a couple of them back. I think mine were mites also - darn hard to keep up with. I hit 'em with a systemic, and I'm probably going to do a second treatment soon.

It looks like it's going to be a huge mess for me. My Neps are all inside. I only hope that they have stayed on the Neps and haven't moved down a shelf to my Drosera and Pings. I bought in a nep from outside a little bit ago. I didn't check it all that well before plopping it down with the rest. I bet that's where they came from. They are too difficult to see, so I'll be treating everything on that shelf.

I've done some research and have found references to all of these being used:
Ortho Systemic Insect Killer
Neem Oil
Orthene
Schultz's Garden Safe 3 in 1 Insecticide, Fungicide, and Miticide

I'll take the list with me and purchase whichever one I can find. When it comes to me and finding recommended products, everything is against me for some reason lol. The places here just don't have whatever I'm specifically looking for, plant related or not.

If you don't mind me asking, what systemic are you using night?

I'm trying to figure out if it would be better to go with the systemic which takes time to work, or if I should go with something that will kill them quick and then maybe use the systemic later to ensure they are gone?

Thanks,
Crystal

I've just noticed the same pattern showing up on all of mine... and a bit of webbing forming on my N. jacquelineae... 2 days before I leave my nepenthes in the hands of my parents to go away to college...

I've got ortho systemic but my sarracenia still aren't the same after I used it on them last year... guess I've got no choice.

I'm yet to see any webbing. Do all mites make webs?

EDIT: J.P. I really hope those orchids didn't have any problems that I sent you. If I would have known then that my Neps had problems I would of delayed shipping until I was sure. Please don't hate me :(. I hope everything works out for you.

Crystal

Last edited:
It could have been me sending them to you who knows... I haven't found any on my N. mirabilis thankfully *they were on a different level of the shelf* but I wouldn't worry about it. Everything has been doused over here. Stupid me I mixed it half strength on accident... oh well Si es la vida.

After I read this tho I gave everything a good going over and the only problem I found on the orchids were 2 scale actually! I was very surprised. The only reason I bring this up is that you might want to check and see if they are anywhere else on your plants. I am still completely satisfied with our trade :) don't worry about it.

I didn't expect my collection to survive the first semester at college in my parents care anyway haha but really no worries. Still A+! trader in my book!!! :)

Phew! Good to know you're not mad :). I'm completely satisfied about our trade too. Thanks for letting me know about the scale you found, I had no idea. I'll give everything a good looking over. I doubt that the mites came from you. My vent looks like it's been suffering for awhile. It was pushed to the back, I just watered it every couple of days and didn't really pay much attention to it.

I certainly hope you don't lose your collection to your parents lol! You can't set up a terrarium to bring at least a few of them with you?

I'll be giving everything a good spraying down tomorrow after I get home from the store; it appears that I'll be doing shopping for everyone and will have quite a list! It seems like everyone is leaning toward the systemic stuff, so I'll aim for that.

Crystal

I would but A. the lights aren't allowed, B. a water balloon filled from up there could dent concrete and C. my roommate doesn't seem to be that enthused with the idea. I'm going to bring my ventrata and see if I can kill it off. If it survives the first semester I might consider the others.

I was so excited... my Sabre is sending out two basals... now watch it get fried due to the spray and I lose all three haha.

The orthene messed up your plants Ed? What did it do? I used mine a few weeks ago and haven't notice any side effects. Just curious.

If you don't mind me asking, what systemic are you using night?

Thanks,
Crystal

http://www.scotts.com/smg/catalog/p...ral_general_title&itemId=cat50080&id=cat50080

That's what I used. I've only used it this one time, so my experience with it is very limited. I can say I have not seen any mites since treating them, but they are so small that it's possible there are a few stragglers. I'm really watching the plants.

Be warned, this stuff packs a real wallop - the smell is extremely potent and foul! Plus, from what I've read online you don't want that stuff to touch bare skin at all, don't inhale it, and don't let it in your eyes. I had to wear long pants, sleeves, gloves, goggles, and a filter mask. I pulled my plants out and sprayed them outside, right before sunset, and let them sit out there a while for the smell to disipate as I didn't want that smell circulating in here. It was a real hassle. Hopefully others will chime in with some suggestions.

I'm actually going to retreat them soon as the label recommends for mites.

Oh goodness nightsky please don't call me that haha. J.P. works fine :)

I used it on my Sarracenia catesbaei and the old growth turned deep deep red then black. All the new growth came back with twisted red and black growth. Looked like Stephen Kings "the thing." Just now are they starting to get back to normal...

-J.P.

My Lowes and Walmart are terrible. I couldn't find anything. I had written down three different types of insecticide/pesticide. I couldn't find anything of them. I found only one product from Ortho. It was for dormant insects and eggs. I couldn't find Orthene, Shultz, or anything systemic. The last thing on my list was Neem oil which I figured I couldn't find if my life depended on it. That was the only product I could find! I'm now the proud owner of a pint of Green Light (brand) Neem concentrate. It's claimed to be a 3 in 1 product: Insecticide, Fungicide, and Miticide. It is labeled for organic gardening. It lists pretty much every type of plant as safe to use on (trees, veggies, houseplants, herbs, flowers, etc). It was more than I wanted to spend and better work haha. It smells kinda good though, reminds me of some kind of citrus.

If interested, I'll report back in a week or so on how well it works.

Thanks everyone,
Crystal

Yeah, I had a tough time finding that systemic. A real hard time. No one around here had it, and I just happened to come across it right when I really needed it.

Just an update. It looks like the neem oil took care of it. The Nepenthes on my growrack had their second treatment on Thursday. I had to do it a day early due to Hanna. I treated the Neps in the lowland terrarium for the first time on Thursday as well. I was able to find a set of jeweler's loupes for a reasonable price and received them yesterday. I checked the Neps on the grow rack that had outward signs of infection, I didn't see any mites. I checked the Nep in my highland terrarium, and it looks like it needs treatment. I will do it either today or tomorrow. If I'm not seeing any more signs of the mites, should I do a third treatment on all of them just to be sure? I certainly don't want to go through this again; I've learned my lesson on not checking new plants (now that I have the proper tools to see such small annoyances) before I put them in close contract with healthy plants.

I took a few pictures of the Nepenthes that were showing outward signs of something being wrong.

N. spectabilis - leaves are curling inward
P1020625.jpg

N. ramispina - leaf spot on new growth
P1020637.jpg

N. x Judith Finn - smaller leaves (though I did add another light, I doubt that's the cause)
P1020632.jpg

N. truncata (Pasian highland) - multiple leaf spots
P1020634.jpg

and you've already seen my ventricosa with the leaves continuing to get smaller and smaller and the yellowing.

Notice each Nep shows the signs in a slighty different way.

Crystal

Last edited:
Back