Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Truncata feeding controversy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mods can delete this post.
    Last edited by Chunkyhunks; 08-27-2008 at 08:15 PM. Reason: argument is too pointless, not worth it

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The larger ones capture lizards and frogs fairly frequently.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sucks to be the fish - but I don't have a problem with it. For years, I kept mantids from round the world, and used to feed the Giant Asian mantids adult Anole lizards, it didn't bother me. I have a mantid documentary that shows a mantis, in the wild, hunting down and consuming a mouse! And snakes, and birds. You'd be surprised at what nature does, it is indeed cruel.

But - I see the life of a fish no more valuable than that of an insect. Both of them perish at the benefit of the plant.

I know that some of the S. psittacina have been found with tadpoles inside, due to local flooding allowing them to make their way in. And, most fish end up in the belly of another fish anyway. This one went into the belly of a plant - I don't see the big deal.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I say it's wrong to feed the plant the fish, but if it's for a scientific reason example to see how many weeks it takes for the Nep to digest the fish and once the pitcher dries up to see what's left and if the newer pitchers get even more bigger from the previous meals in the past pitchers etc. I guess it's ok.

N.Truncatas do get big I guess it could catch a mouse on it's own if it grew outside or in a greenhouse and one comes to it's pitcher to lick the nector or get a drink I dunno and then fall into the pitcher and then drown then I guess that'd be ok unless the pitcher is too small, but of coarse fish can't be Nepenthes natural prey item, but if it's feeder fish that's fine, but pet fish are kinda pushing it, but I don't really mind the idea of feeding a big Nep something like a feeder fish like a minnow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well if it makes anyone feel any better, it was a sick fish...

Anyways how are we going to know what can work in this world if we don't try? That may sound sadistic and it prolly is, but maybe Mr. Aga isn't right in the head. Have you seen those Halloween pics?

I dunno all I'm saying is each to is own, and if he didn't want controversy, he shouldn'ta posted those pics and shoulda kept it to himself.

-Ben
    He who can, does. He who can't, teaches. -George Bernard Shaw
    I love these shirts!!!
    My Growlist
    My Webpage

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't have a problem with what he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    anoles are common in florida. (I will get soooo angry if anyone post pics. of one being feed to a plant) D it is different because they are eaten by snakes in the wild and NEED to eat them.
    I don't think feeding a couple brown anoles to your plants would have any effect on the population. They're everywhere. It's breeding time around my house and I see dozens of babies clinging to my neps so I know its only a matter of time before some fall into the pitchers.

Heres an old pic I took of a less than intelligent "night lizard"/gecko.

Note: He was found like that. I don't feed my plants at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Drosera36 View Post
    I dunno all I'm saying is each to is own, and if he didn't want controversy, he shouldn'ta posted those pics and shoulda kept it to himself.
    Knowledge is best shared.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of things eat fish. Cute minnows swim around the shores of our lake, and the bigger fish eat them. It's sad but true. I used to have fish, so I don't think I would do that, but I don't care who else does it. BTW that's a cool picture JRFxtreme.
    The following statement is true.
    The above statement is false.
    My growing growlist of growing things

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast