Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Truncata feeding controversy

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JRFxtreme View Post
    Knowledge is best shared.
    I agree also seeing that night gecko reminds me of my youth in Louisiana I was really interested in reptiles and I'd catch them and let them go after awhile..

Being late night for me I should have read the posts a bit better he asked for an ill fish so I don't really mind the idea of feeding a Nep a fish if it means the nep would be able to absorb the nutrients feeder fish would be best since they're not too big..

I used to feed my snakes live mice, but now they eat frozen mice that's been thawed so I guess I'm used to things like that..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if its alive.... think about slowly getting digested alive.... i feel sad for the fish. but if its a dead fish, then go ahead.
    Happy Holiday

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i fed a fish to one of my sanguinea pitchers. but the fist was already dead. in 2 hours it has already half dissolved! the next day it was just bones and it didnt take much longer for those to be gone too. didnt stink and didnt rot the pitcher. ha. it was a small fish though. zebra danio. and like i said it was alreayd dead.

Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't put a live fish in any of my Nepenthes' pitchers. There isn't anything wrong for me with eating fish, but there isn't any reason to intenionally grant a fish an excruciating death. Plus why would a Nepenthes need to eat a fish in the first place? Mine catch plenty of bugs on their own. I would only feed Nepenhes dead fish.

Katherine
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In my opinion, it was OK. Using my morals and beliefs, I see no problem with feeding a fish to a carnivorous plant. I see no problem with feeding a reptile, or a frog, or an insect to a plant.
    This is just my opinion though. I wouldn't do it personally, because I wouldn't be able to bring myself to do it. I know it sounds awful but I'd rather give an insect to a plant alive, then squish it myself. I find ants and flies different. Stick Insects I like so I wouldn't bring myself to do it.
    I know this sounds hypocritical, but I find nothing wrong with treating some animals differently. Not all animals are the same. They do different things, live differently, treat each other differently. So I too treat each of them differently.

That's the best way I have to explain my opinion.
    I do agree it sounds a bit harsh being slowly digested - but it sounds worse for me because it would be able to swim and presumably live anyway? Somehow I don't see it as cruel though...
    Drosera Arcturi-The Alpine Sundew...

I'm an AMP People's Choice Applicant this year, please vote for me here:
    http://ampvoting.orcas.co.nz/Applicants/Details/10699

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think there would be enough oxygen for a fish to live that long. The surface area is pretty small for most species and it is the surface area that lets oxygen disslove into the water.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I dont like the idea to "feed" a plant with a living fish...

Nepenthes don't catch fish on the wild so why do that?
    I go with the idea to feed the plants as similar as they do on the wild (I guess some nepenthes will catch frogs? I stick to insects, as kath say "not all animals are the same").

Second, I think is cruel even if the fish is sick... kill it and then feed it to the plant if you like, then will be a diferent situation!

N. Albomarginata, N. Ampullaria
    N. Bellii, N. Bicalcarata, N. Rafflesiana
    N. Sanguinea (Orange Pitcher), Cephalotus Follicularis

http://www.knology.net/~fus

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    things die all the time,its life ... deal with it...kill, then feed ,or feed it live, or leave it be... its gonna die no matter what and there is no such thing as a "nicer" way to die. welcom to the real world people.(sorry if i seem mean, ive seen a lot of death for a 17yr old)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast