What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Truncata feeding controversy

I came upon a thread recently that was started by Mr. Aga a while ago. He photographed a fish that he fed to his truncata. There were people that were upset by this. There were also people that supported him. The thread was insanely long, there were 109 replies. So, for those growers that joined this forum recently, how do you feel? Do you think that What Mr. Aga did was reprehensible or is it no differrent than feeding his plant an insect. You can find it by going to the new thread button. Type in truncata any you will find it.

A fish? OMG, what a monster!
Seriously, no big deal. Not worth the arguement. Unless it was some fancy, endangered fish that he took from the wild or something it might as well be a cricket, or in the case of truncata, a rat. Some people are over-emotional and might have a problem with it, but why even bring it up?

I feel that it was cruel but, I wouldn't really care if he had used a REAL feeder fish.

When my Nepenthes Ventricosa gets big enough, I plan to feed it lizards.

people feed mice to their snakes. ARE PLANTS DIFFERENT? why not subsitute mice with a fish. Why can't we spoil a plant thats stuck in a greenhouse or on a window where insects are not as abundant. Especially if its a lowland truncata in a hothouse. The insects have to make it into the greenhouse then into the hothouse and then into the plant pitcher. "feeder fish" it's settled. Just don't feed the plant too much fish especially at once. ;)

Ahmad where are you going to ge the lizards?

I am also of the opinion that it was fine for Mr. Aga to feed his truncata a fish.

anoles are common in florida. (I will get soooo angry if anyone post pics. of one being feed to a plant) D it is different because they are eaten by snakes in the wild and NEED to eat them. Neps are on land and never catch fish under normal conditions and don't even need to eat. Also that fish was a pet, not a feeder fish.

Yes, but it was sick. Besides life in a pet store for a fish isn't to bright. Your going to get sold to some kid who forgets to feed you.

Ahmad where are you going to ge the lizards?

I am also of the opinion that it was fine for Mr. Aga to feed his truncata a fish.

I live in Florida. There are lizards everywhere.

Heck, I fed a baby frog to my Sarracenia Purpurea.

Yes, but it was sick. Besides life in a pet store for a fish isn't to bright. Your going to get sold to some kid who forgets to feed you.

Only a few. There are allot of adults that will feed the fish they buy, and even for their kids.

Give me a break, its not like feeding a cat or a dog to a nep...im sure somone would try if they got big enough. A fish or a lizard is nothing IMO.

A green anole is something! They are being pushed out by an invasive anole making it threatened. Also there is no difference in feeding say a rat to a plant as feeding a dog to a plant. They exprience the same torture!

The plants catch rodents and other small creatures in the wild on their own. It's in their nature.

Personally, I find it wrong considering the fish had no chance and it's not a natural food source. No matter what the animal was (whether dog, cat, fish, or bug) I find it cruel. To me one creature's life isn't more important than another's. I say it's better to let them catch their prey on their own to give everything a chance to live. I'm very much an animal lover though. Just my personal opinion.

They eat bugs not rodents. It is very rare for a neps to eat rodents.

Mods can delete this post.

Last edited:
The larger ones capture lizards and frogs fairly frequently.

Sucks to be the fish - but I don't have a problem with it. For years, I kept mantids from round the world, and used to feed the Giant Asian mantids adult Anole lizards, it didn't bother me. I have a mantid documentary that shows a mantis, in the wild, hunting down and consuming a mouse! And snakes, and birds. You'd be surprised at what nature does, it is indeed cruel.

But - I see the life of a fish no more valuable than that of an insect. Both of them perish at the benefit of the plant.

I know that some of the S. psittacina have been found with tadpoles inside, due to local flooding allowing them to make their way in. And, most fish end up in the belly of another fish anyway. This one went into the belly of a plant - I don't see the big deal.

I say it's wrong to feed the plant the fish, but if it's for a scientific reason example to see how many weeks it takes for the Nep to digest the fish and once the pitcher dries up to see what's left and if the newer pitchers get even more bigger from the previous meals in the past pitchers etc. I guess it's ok.

N.Truncatas do get big I guess it could catch a mouse on it's own if it grew outside or in a greenhouse and one comes to it's pitcher to lick the nector or get a drink I dunno and then fall into the pitcher and then drown then I guess that'd be ok unless the pitcher is too small, but of coarse fish can't be Nepenthes natural prey item, but if it's feeder fish that's fine, but pet fish are kinda pushing it, but I don't really mind the idea of feeding a big Nep something like a feeder fish like a minnow.

Back