What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes macrophylla

How picky are these? I'm expanding the grow rack so this is in my sights.

This is a tricky plant for me to grow properly. Mine seem to be very sensitive to warm temperatures and they need high humidity and good air circulation to do well.

If I was limited to only growing one plant, I would choose N. macrophylla over all the others.

They are very nice looking I must say. I'm thinking of adding this and rajah with some heli's. I'll have an ac for the summer months. So is 60 an ok night temp?

Yup! 60 sounds perfect. THats my minimum as well. I don't have macro...but all my highlanders rajah, aristo, glabrata, lowii etc are doing fine at that temp.

This plant is my most wanted nep right now. It is among my favorites that I don't own, along with hamata, edwardsianna, villosa.

A few things have kept me from taking the plunge. First of course is price. Second was temps. In the summer, the lowest temp I can attain is 60F, and I didn't think that was low enough - maybe it actually is.

Lastly, I've heard these plants get quite large, and room is something I'm lacking.

If you get one - keep us updated. It's a real gem I will someday own. Maybe when I get a basement growroom and have more room and can get lower temps in the summer.

get it into the 50s if possible...60 is fine for most highlanders though. im not too sure about Macrophylla, ive been looking into it recently as well, but from what i hear, it is a very slow plant, but is very rewarding if grown properly. i think i could grow one now, but i dont really want to spend the money.

get it into the 50s if possible...60 is fine for most highlanders though. im not too sure about Macrophylla, ive been looking into it recently as well, but from what i hear, it is a very slow plant, but is very rewarding if grown properly. i think i could grow one now, but i dont really want to spend the money.

I agree about getting the Tb down as low as possible at night. My N. macrophylla are fairly young (one is a rooted cutting from an adult and the others are seed-grown plants from Japan) and they seem to thrive with the cool. Luckily, it generally falls into the fifties in CA after dark. They may be on the slower side but they manage to outstrip N. villosa. I am in it for the long haul; if I were not, I'd just be planting tomatoes . . .

In the winter i can get it down to the 40's it's just the summer I'm worried about. My villosa right now is not doing so good and my hamata is ok looking. Funny thing is my lowii is growing like mad with a new pitcher almost opened.

Murph if you need a home for that villosa i will glady support it, im growing Rajah, Aristolochioides, Hamata, and Lowii just fine on my growrack with some other highlanders. :3
my rack frequently gets into the low 50s at night this time of year

Back