User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Want to grow Highland/UltraHi Nepenthes ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    >Dave S., you gave me a very good description of what you would like.
    >You took my request seriously and make me want to hear more!
    >ANY other thoughts you may have, I am all ears!
    >(Specifics especially! Wood/Metal? Glass/Plastic? Dimensions! Anything!)

I have given this topic a lot of thought over the years, especially as my plants outgrow the converted fishtanks I primarily use. I move them to grow racks, but I lose some humidity in my current setup. I would buy either metal or wood, but I would certainly prefer glass to plastic. I think it is looks better and it is more clear to view the plants.

I built a lowland terrarium for a corner in my office (wood/glass) that is roughly 6' tall and 4' wide and 3' deep; the scale I am looking for is big. I want to have large highland nepenthes plants vine and flower without having to cut them back. I would like the lights running vertically, top to bottom, to maximize the plant growth throughout the terrarium.

The more automated, the better; setting lights, cooling, humidity control and watering on timers.

The market for this type of terrarium could also extend to people who grow cool-growing orchids.

If you have additional questions you would like me to address. please let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you considered some of the rigid greenhouse glazing? Maybe for the nonviewing sides? Like 8mm polycarbonate or dynaglass or something? You would need a framework to support it but double or triple wall polycarbonate would help with insulating a bit also.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Folks have been making chilled grow chamber for highland/cloudforest orchids for some time. Here is one

http://forum.theorchidsource.com/cgi...c;f=1;t=004762
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    if i were to buy one as apposed to making one after making sure it works and can do a 25-30 degree drop from ambient room temps would be appearance....i can make something that works.....my issue is making something that works AND looks nice so the wife will let me put it where i want rather than keeping it in my plant room in the basement.........also having lived in the boondocks almost my whole life, as simple as you can make the system and have it work the better, manual overrides to any automatic systems are a must.....why? cause if something goes down im going to have to fix it with what is available........aint going to spend $1,000 on something(reasonable cost for a large one, figure ill have bout $600 or so in materials into my homemade one, though im thinking of a 3x4x4 foot chamber or bigger) and if some automatic switch goes down ive got to wait 2 weeks to get a part in.....a manual over ride so i can flip a switch to turn the lights on or off or such without turning of the humidity or cooling systems or any combination there of is a HUGE plus..........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Tempered glass with a modular design philosophy. That way someone could start off with a basic unit and upgrade as funding permits, or needs require.

Av

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    other than looking nice and having a large viewing/access window in the front ive got no real input on how to make one or what to use.....i know what I would do to make one for myself but i aint an engineer nor do i nessisarily have access to some of the better materials, just know what i would do give to what i have access to here, in BFE, 100 miles from the nearest Walmart, 300 from the nearest Home Depot or Lowes.....havent made one yet cause i havent figured out how to convince the wife i need a freezer that wont be used to store meat in
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh, highland terrarium.. i have a question, i have a lowland terrarium, temperature about 85 when 2X20 watts flourscents lights is on, and the night time temperature is about 70-75 take quite a few hours for the temperature to drop, what happen if i grow a highland nepenthe in a lowland terrarium? please answer i need to kno lol,

highland terrarium is diffcult... to keep the terrarium around 65 - 70 degree i think the cheapest way is place the terarium next to a air conditon, which allow the cold air cool off the temperature in the terrarium ( covered) from our side the terrarium or cool of the flourscent light lol, i will try this idea when i get my cheap highland terrarium done, and run a few test on it
    OR
    use those CPU cooler which u can find inside the PC attached to the mother board or get one from almost anyone where u can find PC, its very cheap. and get the fan also. that will keep the air circulation runing and cool airs going! make sure use adaptor, or u will explode the fan

LIGHT
    buy few LED solar panel lights for the walkway ( notes the light level is low but its focus in one small area so i don't think it will do any harm to ur plant, change the solar panel to a adaptor which u can find from cell phone adaptor? modem adaptor? anything at least its a adaptor , to keep the LED light run at same level alll day long! without fainting the light level! change the flourscents light to LED can massively change ur highland terrariums temperature.

for all these item its less then 100$ =] 50$ u can get a 50 gallons from PETSMART/PETCO
    50 gallons tank cover should be around 20 ~ 30 $ (glass)

=] correct me if i m wrong

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Highland nepenthes will not grow in a lowland terrarium. Intermediates might though.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast