User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Want to grow Highland/UltraHi Nepenthes ?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow!

Has it been a year! Wow, thats pretty good.
    I recently had a fan burn out (made a horrific noise actually).
    Bit otherwise the unit has held up pretty good.

The unit is "almost" powerful enough, but not quite.
    I have other ideas in mind how to solve the situation
    but it has had to take the "back burner" for now.

I do have some great sphagnum moss growing and my Hamatas are
    plugging along (I posted pics recently) as is the Villosa, however my Macrophylla's are not growing
    as nicely as I would like. It works, but not good enough!
    The unit can't handle when the room temp is warm, so I will need to
    increase the cooling units ability to overcome this...if they can!
    I have all the things I need to set it up, but just haven't had the time.
    (My bad!) For now, even with the cooling device, I still often throw in
    a container frozen with ice for safe measure.

The Peliter's are nice units, but given a choice I would go with standard
    refrigeration units, even a small one. They are more controllable and can
    overcome the heat generated by the lights better.

I do plan on following thru on improving this unit with the Peliters,
    so at some point look for my post about it. (It may be a while.)
    (I used to do electromechanical engineering, so trying things and inventing
    is second nature.... however it is a process that takes time and experimenting.)

As far as just taking a wine cooler unit and putting a light in it,
    and an ultrasonic fogger, the weak point is the ability to cool down overnight
    enough. Everything else is doable, and pretty easy.
    Even refrigerators are not designed to be heated up or even left open
    (hence being told: "don't leave the door open"!)
    and then expected to cool back down quickly.
    Thanks for asking. I am still working on it... and I am getting close!

Paul
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hiya Paul-

Thanks for the quick reply and update!

You mentioned that the weak point of a wine cooler is the "cool down overnight". Wouldn't just manually turning down the temperature on the unit 10 - 20 degrees nightly do the trick and then increasing it in the morining?

Good luck on your modifications and please keep us up to date.

Happy Growing an Holidays,
    E
    "My Greatest Fear Is, When I Die, The Missus Will Sell All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Got It For"

I bought a cactus. A week later it died. And I got depressed, because I thought, Damn. I am less nurturing than a desert.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Grow Long, and Prosper!

E,

The problem is that the peliter works off of ambient temps, and can only cool down so much from there. And it is usually slow at doing that! But then it's like trying to cool down a tiny room by blowing across a large ice-cube! Even when that "room" is the size of a small aquarium, it takes time to cool it down.

Not too hard if the "room" (inside of the wine cooler) is ambient temperature to begin with, but when you shine in some t5 lamps all day, there is a lot of built up residual heat to move. Every object in the wine cooler, such as the pots, the "soil" mixture, the plants, and any water, not to mention the "walls and floor" of it are now warmer than ambient room temps!
    Even running the unit while the lamps are on, it is difficult for the cooler to keep up with.

Remember, these units are designed to get the inside cool (along with & the wine & bottles) and to stay cool. When one opens the door and leaves it open for a few minutes and then closes it again, the cooling unit can bring things back to desired temps, because the wine and bottles and walls of the unit are still pretty close to the desired temps, and so help re-cool things.
    If you were to open the door and leave it open, the bottles and wine would begin to heat up (toward ambient room temps), and when you close the door, the bottles and wine now act like little heaters themselves! Even with the unit running the whole time, it now has to "suck out" all the heat that everything acquired! Cooling down an empty unit that starts at room temperature, goes a lot faster than if you start by heating the inside walls of the unit, and have objects inside that are warm. And that is what we are trying to do every night, when the lights turn off.
    We basically spent all day warming up everything inside with nice bright lights, and now we have to remove all that heat. Now that IS a big job to do. And if we run our lights for 12-14 hours, we are trying to do that in less than 4-6 hours, hoping to give the plants a few hours to go dormant and "sleep"!
    It's not that the units can't lower the temps, but besides heating things up, we are needing the unit to do it in only a few hours. That is a lot to ask!

I am looking at using a bigger peliter (cooling) unit or multiple units, to cool down better. Even then, the potential for cooling is dependent on the ambient temperatures. I have more testing and experimenting to do.

There is a great way to utilize even a small wine cooler however!

Simply have another setup! One normal terrarium with nice lights and misting/humidity.... and the wine cooler set up with a mister/humidifier inside. Take the plant itself and put it into the wine cooler at night, and move it into the terrarium during the day! (Let the wine cooler run all day and set the thermostat low.) Easier than moving ice packs, and the plant will like the environment even more!
    Just be SURE to have the humidity very high in the wine cooler, for an ideal night time environment! (Not enough humidity will eventually kill the plant. Keep it higher at night... VERY high! higher than you think you should is a good place to start!) Air movement is already built in, because there is a nice fan inside that blows the cold air around. (Remember, I mentioned earlier that it operates like "blowing across an ice cube"!)
    There are also drains on the units, so you will need to possibly remove the bottom drain pan and hook up a hose to drain into a bigger container, or possibly try to put a container or sheet of plastic inside to catch the water (it will need to be taped or glued to the sides, so the condensation will run down the sides and into the plastic reservoir. You will lose some along the door, but the drain will take care of that. (Again, you will need to choose a way to deal with that, as a lot may drain off.)

If you look on Craigslist, you can find used ones from time to time (depending on where you live).
    Well, I hope some of this information was enlightening... and encourages you to try something!
    Grow long, and prosper!
    Paul
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ha, ha, ha

My wife loves me (at least I think so ), Paul, but I don't think she loves me that much to let me have two terrariums just for one plant.

Oh, to be single again.

This article was posted here on TF about a year ago, but I thought I'd bring it back up.
    Nice set up, but I'd like a frontal view of my plant with lights, and not an overhead view that needs the lights to be moved to look at it.

http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cpn...32n1p20_23.pdf

E
    "My Greatest Fear Is, When I Die, The Missus Will Sell All My Stuff For What I Told Her I Got It For"

I bought a cactus. A week later it died. And I got depressed, because I thought, Damn. I am less nurturing than a desert.

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I'd most be interested in a modular product. I'd be much more tempted to buy a rig from you if I knew I could easily take the chiller/humidifier/fans/brains and move them onto a larger enclosure, add extra lights, etc. But I'm a do-it-yourselfer at heart so I might not really be your target consumer.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually kinda glad this post was dug up from the past......just dawned on me ive got a freezer i can use now our upright freezer's seal went out so we cant keep food in it and given a new seal costs bout 2/3's of what a new chest freezer would cost i believe we will be upgrading to a new freezer........cant seal the old one good enough to keep food in but i wonder if i cant use it for a plant project? gonna have to have my brother get it down into the basement for me
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rattler, I always thought it would be relatively straightforward to build a wedge-shaped insert to attach to a fridge or freezer of some sort. Mount fans and input/output ducts on the outer edge of a wedge cut to the size of your door, so that you still make use of the insulation of the fridge door. (Also this way you don't necessarily need to remove the door.) You could probably hold it shut pretty tight using glued-on hook fasteners. I wish I had a spare fridge to experiment with...
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    actually was planning on building a 4 foot long chamber and cool it at night via a pump, antifreeze and copper tubing in a heat sink like water in the bottom or the like......sorta like the frozen water bottles but in automatic form, just run it at night with a humidifier........can close up the freezer and seal it good enough that i can get into it to fix something but i wont have to open it to often like i would when storing food in it......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast