What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Want to grow Highland/UltraHi Nepenthes ?

Not a bad idea - especially viable with your outdoor temps. :D I've given something like that a thought but I'd always thought of powered heat sinks. Passive with water is clever. I wonder if I could get that to work in the summer, when I actually need extra cooling.
~Joe

One of the things I didn't see mentioned in anyone's suggestions / wishlist is a window that won't condense moisture.

Years ago, when I used the overflow from the spring that fed our home water supply to feed a 130 gal tank for native cool-water fish, the glass always stayed covered with condensation. When I created hot tanks for petiolaris - same thing (but in reverse). If I have a tank, full of plants or critters - I'd like to see them. This is especially true if the setup is in the living room. Who wants to look at condensation-covered glass (not very interesting)?

I'm thinking double pane glass with a dry, inert gas between the panes (like windows) but I'm curious if there would still be condensation. Does anyone make an aquarium for cool water fish with a 2nd layer of glass or any orchid enclosures with 2 panes? Has anyone solved this issue?

Hiya Ron-

I think those chill display tanks for lobsters and crabs have glass that don't condense.

E

One of the things I didn't see mentioned in anyone's suggestions / wishlist is a window that won't condense moisture.

Years ago, when I used the overflow from the spring that fed our home water supply to feed a 130 gal tank for native cool-water fish, the glass always stayed covered with condensation. When I created hot tanks for petiolaris - same thing (but in reverse). If I have a tank, full of plants or critters - I'd like to see them. This is especially true if the setup is in the living room. Who wants to look at condensation-covered glass (not very interesting)?

I'm thinking double pane glass with a dry, inert gas between the panes (like windows) but I'm curious if there would still be condensation. Does anyone make an aquarium for cool water fish with a 2nd layer of glass or any orchid enclosures with 2 panes? Has anyone solved this issue?

FWIW, Argon is used in double pane windows for its low thermal conductance

Anti-fog

You could try Rain-x or other anti-fog products
(I used to get these little pink sticks you drew on like a crayon,
and then rubbed into the glass, that worked well, but haven't seen them in years.)

Any of these products are temporary however and need to be reapplied.
I do not know if they would poison your plants in time however. ???
Worth some research I suppose.

Paul

Back