0 Thread(s)
    n.rafflesiana, it has cool uppers
    Finer in 09'er

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the suggestions guys
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Capensis View Post
    Hi, I was wondering what Neps I can easily grow in my conditions. I believe my real conditions are low-high 80s at day, and at night, high 70s to maybe (Just maybe, but not likely!) 69-68. Humidity is high 40s to high 60s, 80+ at night. I know intermediates will do well, but I wonder if these conditions are better for lowlanders or highlanders (Most likely lowlanders though, but if you know any highlanders that might have a chance, let me know). I'm really sorry, but I'm very picky on neps. I would like them to have nice colors and/or interesting pitcher shape. Also, that they don't grow big (for awhile, a few years, maybe). Very sorry if I make hard on what I'm looking for in neps. I might get Sanguinea, but it'll be on my windowsill. Little off topic here, but I would like to know how to shave off a few degrees without doing anything drastic. Thanks
    A number of intermediate to lowland Nepenthes may work well, since I have friends both in Hawai'i and Queensland facing similar challenges. They've done well with N. truncata (both forms -- intermediate / highland and lowland -- seemed to tolerate their "warmer" Tbs), N. ventricosa, various N. ventricosa hybrids (ventricosa x ovata, ventricosa x bongso, etc); in terms of lowlanders, N. ampullaria, N. bicalcarata fit the bill, at least initially. If the eventual large size of a species is an issue, the obvious solution is to begin simply with smaller plants, which are most commonly available and affordable anyway, and keep them pruned back -- a far more attractive option anyway.

Once again, hybrids of both highland and lowland forms are certainly a way to go; the concept of hybrid vigour is not simply a cliché and they are, almost to a one, far more tolerant of Tb and humidity fluctuations than any of their individual parents . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so I'll probably be getting N. ramispina, bongso, and either N. spectabilis x aristo or N. Lady Pauline (if I can get it smaller than they have it). Thoughts? N. sanguinea will be on the windowsill. I still wonder how I can lower temp to low 80s.

Edit: I might be switching out N. ramispina or bongso for N. albomarginata (I think that's the name, I'm too lazy to look it up xD)
    Edit #2: Well...unfortunately, they don't have Lady Pauline that's 3-6 inches . So I'll probably get N. spectabilix x aristo.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have bongso, ramispina, lady pauline, and spec x aristo. You cannot go wrong with any of them.

All have grown extremely well for me - except bongso. But I'm the exception to the rule, as it grows great for everybody else. I think mine may just now finally be starting to get out of its so-far year long slump.

The one that surprised me was the spec x aristo - it's been a very strong grower!! I got it very, very small (1"), yet it hasn't missed a beat and has tripled in size in just a few months. Dark pitchers with darker spots, makes oodles of nectar on a dark peristome with slight striping. As it matures, I expect the color to improve even more.

Ramispina has done great for me - mines still small kinda small though, but it's a strong grower. And lady pauline is at this time my favorite nep I own. Very vigorous, pitchers like mad, and those pitchers last for many months.

Edit: All the above is based on being in highland conditions. Your experience may vary

Viva La Revolution de Nepenthes! nepenthes369's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For cooling at night I use a misting system but I do grow outdoors so I'm not too sure if this will help but may lead to some good ideas.
    Viva La Revolution de Nepenthes!

Growlist:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=108969

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think I've got it handled. Found out frozen bottles of water work well in small tanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12