User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes macrophylla at 250.00!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah I was shocked too! But it was the same place that wanted 125 for helis too. But they soon came down because I'm pretty sure that no one bought them. Give it time, they will drop. I was also thinking to order from overseas too. There is also more of a selection too.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    I am not defending the price the nursery has listed but don't compare apples and oranges. There are a whole host of expenses that a nursery in business has that a hobbyists selling off a single cutting from one of their plants doesn't.
    true IIRC the greenhouse i worked at charged 2 to 2.5 times what it cost them for plants.....but they also never got in anything in this price range that i can think of....mainly lower end bedding plants and some perenials......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMurphy97 View Post
    Yeah I was shocked too! But it was the same place that wanted 125 for helis too. But they soon came down because I'm pretty sure that no one bought them. Give it time, they will drop. I was also thinking to order from overseas too. There is also more of a selection too.
    Yeah, the Heliamphora prices were off the charts as well, even if they could be found -- and for very common varieties like, H. minor and H. heterodoxa x minor. I can just imagine what H. folliculata or some form of H. tatei would run in the States. If truth be told, I haven't even seen them offered recently; and the prospect of "bargains" coming from nurseries in Borneo or Germany is a revelation to many.

What possible incentive have consumers in the US to do business here? I have been purchasing overseas for years, initially, due to a greater variety sorely lacking here -- and now, apparently, doing it on the (comparatively) cheap side too, from everything that I have seen . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Price includes shipping, the plant have acclimated to their greenhouse for the past 6 months also, there greenhouse plants experience fluctuations in humidity and all sorts of stuff so the plant should be a bit hardened off making it easier to ship and acclimate upon arrival. But still the price is high. You realize they need to make a living, and with the cost of living going up they have to make more and people are spending less.
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post

What the hell is happening here when it makes greater economical sense to purchase your oddball exotic plants from, say, Germany (even with the euro and shipping) than the next state away?
    People are paying those prices, that's what's happening. If no one would pay those outrageous prices, they'd come down.

I nearly had a heart attack when I saw that also. That plant better make pitchers filled with liquid gold for that kinda outlay!

This is the only reason I don't own Hamata or Cephalotus - too pricey! Someday though, there will be more of these out there to bring the price down (I hope).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    you're right on this one! it's everybodys fault for paying big bucks for plants that are not worht the money. i think they are fishing....let's say i don't want to sell my nep but if someone is stupid and willing to pay 200$ of course i will give it to him....and buy 10 more with the money.
    Best regards,
    Marius

My Website: http://droseragemmae.com/

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's one thing to make an honest (or even dishonest) living.... but to blantantly rip people off ...even if it's just because you have the opportunity to make a killing, tells you something about this person/company.

Remember this the next time you give them YOUR business. This isn't some amateur selling their plant on ebay, wanting to get as much as they can. We watched that Hummer Ceph go for $300+ a while ago, which was amazing, but I don't blame "the seller" for taking the money. First off, it was an auction. Next, "the seller" was a private grower, not a company!

And "fishing" is one thing for an individual to do. But a company is expected to adhere to certain standards.

This sure does a lot for their corporate image!
    Experience is the best teacher. At least it used to be.
    But then, common sense isn't so common anymore, is it.

http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113866

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And to think I knocked mine over (err repotted) mine while watering with help from Cap'n Morgan tonight. (yet cannot find this seller, my bookmarks seem to be lacking)
    My Grow List

"It is only by studying nature that can we ever hope to defeat it."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast