What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes macrophylla at 250.00!

I almost did a spit-take with the morning's coffee, having received a link from a friend to some US dealers (who shall remain nameless) offering tiny Nepenthes macrophylla in four-inch pots for 250.00 (my apologies for a bit of an exaggeration -- it was only 249.95).

When I purchased mine, it was at the merest fraction of that price and overseas -- one as a trade with another grower and the other outright.

What the hell is happening here when it makes greater economical sense to purchase your oddball exotic plants from, say, Germany (even with the euro and shipping) than the next state away?

Yea I know what site you're talking about I was like WOW too lol

It is all about supply and demand. As more people grow nepenthes the demand for them is higher. I think the reason is the new comer doesn't really know about the price and some of these sellers take advantage of this fact. I agree with you guys that tiny macrophylla doesn't worth $250, more like $25. It cost almost the same price as an edwardsiana ($300)!!!

Jeff

just cause yah advertise something for a certain amount doesnt mean you will sell it for that.....have sold things for more than they are worth before....all it takes is the right buyer at the right time......they will prolly sell a few and than have to drop the price on the rest to clear out inventory......

yeah its rediculus, there is a guy offering me a 5" basal from his Macro for 100 dollars.

yeah its rediculus, there is a guy offering me a 5" basal from his Macro for 100 dollars.

I am not defending the price the nursery has listed but don't compare apples and oranges. There are a whole host of expenses that a nursery in business has that a hobbyists selling off a single cutting from one of their plants doesn't.

I am not defending the price the nursery has listed but don't compare apples and oranges. There are a whole host of expenses that a nursery in business has that a hobbyists selling off a single cutting from one of their plants doesn't.

To be sure . . .

But if I can purchase several of the plants (as I did a short time ago) from a nursery overseas in, say, Germany, for less than the price of one here, and still cover shipping, phytosanitary permits, the steroid-fed euro, have enough for a giant coffee at Peet's, then there is a real problem . . .

I saw that too. I can only dream of having that much fluff money to burn on one plant

Yeah I was shocked too! But it was the same place that wanted 125 for helis too. But they soon came down because I'm pretty sure that no one bought them. Give it time, they will drop. I was also thinking to order from overseas too. There is also more of a selection too.

true IIRC the greenhouse i worked at charged 2 to 2.5 times what it cost them for plants.....but they also never got in anything in this price range that i can think of....mainly lower end bedding plants and some perenials......

Yeah I was shocked too! But it was the same place that wanted 125 for helis too. But they soon came down because I'm pretty sure that no one bought them. Give it time, they will drop. I was also thinking to order from overseas too. There is also more of a selection too.

Yeah, the Heliamphora prices were off the charts as well, even if they could be found -- and for very common varieties like, H. minor and H. heterodoxa x minor. I can just imagine what H. folliculata or some form of H. tatei would run in the States. If truth be told, I haven't even seen them offered recently; and the prospect of "bargains" coming from nurseries in Borneo or Germany is a revelation to many.

What possible incentive have consumers in the US to do business here? I have been purchasing overseas for years, initially, due to a greater variety sorely lacking here -- and now, apparently, doing it on the (comparatively) cheap side too, from everything that I have seen . . .

Price includes shipping, the plant have acclimated to their greenhouse for the past 6 months also, there greenhouse plants experience fluctuations in humidity and all sorts of stuff so the plant should be a bit hardened off making it easier to ship and acclimate upon arrival. But still the price is high. You realize they need to make a living, and with the cost of living going up they have to make more and people are spending less.

What the hell is happening here when it makes greater economical sense to purchase your oddball exotic plants from, say, Germany (even with the euro and shipping) than the next state away?

People are paying those prices, that's what's happening. If no one would pay those outrageous prices, they'd come down.

I nearly had a heart attack when I saw that also. That plant better make pitchers filled with liquid gold for that kinda outlay!

This is the only reason I don't own Hamata or Cephalotus - too pricey! Someday though, there will be more of these out there to bring the price down (I hope).

you're right on this one! it's everybodys fault for paying big bucks for plants that are not worht the money. i think they are fishing....let's say i don't want to sell my nep but if someone is stupid and willing to pay 200$ of course i will give it to him....and buy 10 more with the money.

It's one thing to make an honest (or even dishonest) living.... but to blantantly rip people off ...even if it's just because you have the opportunity :drool: to make a killing, tells you something about this person/company.

Remember this the next time you give them YOUR business. This isn't some amateur selling their plant on ebay, wanting to get as much as they can. We watched that Hummer Ceph go for $300+ a while ago, which was amazing, but I don't blame "the seller" for taking the money. First off, it was an auction. Next, "the seller" was a private grower, not a company!

And "fishing" is one thing for an individual to do. But a company is expected to adhere to certain standards.

This sure does a lot for their corporate image!

And to think I knocked mine over (err repotted) mine while watering with help from Cap'n Morgan tonight. (yet cannot find this seller, my bookmarks seem to be lacking)

i dont view it as deliberatly ripping someone off......if someone doesnt want to shop around it aint the fault of the dealer....you dont HAVE to buy it from him......found ones without much effort significantly lower in the states.......and speaking from experiance i will pay significantly more for a greenhouse hardened specimen than one of comprible size fresh out of TC....especially species like this......

People are paying those prices, that's what's happening. If no one would pay those outrageous prices, they'd come down.

I nearly had a heart attack when I saw that also. That plant better make pitchers filled with liquid gold for that kinda outlay!

This is the only reason I don't own Hamata or Cephalotus - too pricey! Someday though, there will be more of these out there to bring the price down (I hope).

Look, I was simply taken aback by the prices, but I am certainly far from suggesting that those dealers are ripping anybody off. If that is simply what the market can bear, knock yourself out. I just don't know anyone who can shell that out for a tiny plant . . .

All I know is that I obtained my Nepenthes and Heliamphora at a fraction of those prices overseas and they are thriving -- TC origin or not. My girlfriend and I once attended an orchid show awhile back where a single plant -- a dried twig in moss to me -- went for 8500.00 at auction . . .

It takes all kinds . . .

Buy NOW and SAVE!!!

Hey,
If you go on ebay looking for a N.Macro right now, you can save $150!

If I didn't already have one, I would consider it! Just think of what you can buy
with the money you save!

Well, buy OTHER plants of course!
:boogie:

That same site is offering Cephalotus for about $50.

I was lucky and got mine for $20. :D

Back