User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nepenthes macrophylla at 250.00!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nepenthes macrophylla at 250.00!

I almost did a spit-take with the morning's coffee, having received a link from a friend to some US dealers (who shall remain nameless) offering tiny Nepenthes macrophylla in four-inch pots for 250.00 (my apologies for a bit of an exaggeration -- it was only 249.95).

When I purchased mine, it was at the merest fraction of that price and overseas -- one as a trade with another grower and the other outright.

What the hell is happening here when it makes greater economical sense to purchase your oddball exotic plants from, say, Germany (even with the euro and shipping) than the next state away?
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

A windowsill grower elsantaclause's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yea I know what site you're talking about I was like WOW too lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is all about supply and demand. As more people grow nepenthes the demand for them is higher. I think the reason is the new comer doesn't really know about the price and some of these sellers take advantage of this fact. I agree with you guys that tiny macrophylla doesn't worth $250, more like $25. It cost almost the same price as an edwardsiana ($300)!!!

Jeff
    We can go for days without food, but we can't pass 5 minutes without air. REMEMBER TO BREATH!!!

Trouble breathing? Let me know.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just cause yah advertise something for a certain amount doesnt mean you will sell it for that.....have sold things for more than they are worth before....all it takes is the right buyer at the right time......they will prolly sell a few and than have to drop the price on the rest to clear out inventory......
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yeah its rediculus, there is a guy offering me a 5" basal from his Macro for 100 dollars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    yeah its rediculus, there is a guy offering me a 5" basal from his Macro for 100 dollars.
    I am not defending the price the nursery has listed but don't compare apples and oranges. There are a whole host of expenses that a nursery in business has that a hobbyists selling off a single cutting from one of their plants doesn't.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    I am not defending the price the nursery has listed but don't compare apples and oranges. There are a whole host of expenses that a nursery in business has that a hobbyists selling off a single cutting from one of their plants doesn't.
    To be sure . . .

But if I can purchase several of the plants (as I did a short time ago) from a nursery overseas in, say, Germany, for less than the price of one here, and still cover shipping, phytosanitary permits, the steroid-fed euro, have enough for a giant coffee at Peet's, then there is a real problem . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw that too. I can only dream of having that much fluff money to burn on one plant

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast