What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The epic race.... Seedgrown Hamata vs Jacquelineae

I hate to do this, but I'ma have to drop out of the race. Some of my plants broke out with rust(including the jacq), so I sprayed them...a bit too heavily. The jacq reacted the worst of all of them and seems mostly dead. :( It may come back in some form or another, but there's no way the race could be continued regardless.
Sorry all. *facepalm*

Darn! That's awful. I've lost more neps this year than ever before because of pests.

All you can do is hope for the best.

Aww... they're so cute. :3
I think Kriss's is cutest, with its fat little leaves, but I think the jacquelinae looks very nice - almost elegant. :3

Oh no! I didn't read that before I posted. Oh no....
I feel for you...

truly sorry to hear that ANdrew. I almost had a heart attack and am still living with my heart between my teeth having found out that I had 2 scale infested plants in an enclousure for 6 months with all my other neps. I can understand how pests can devestate a collection. So I know what it feels like when pests enter and shatter your favourites.

Truly sympathetic man. I feel for ya. Its an expensive plant to begin with. Don't be disheartened...things will turn up. The jacq is a very tough plant from what I have seen and read. I would suggest drastically cutting the water down, maybe changing the media if necessary to a more bark with very less fresh sphagnum and hoping for the best. I am sure that ti can survive. Don't give up on it.

OH NOES! I was looking forward to this. So sorry to hear that Andrew. :( So I guess this thread is done? Or maybe Kris can keep updating his hamata?

i will keep updating on the hamata...im truely sorry to hear about your jacq andrew.

I am so sorry to hear about you jacq! I hope it will come back from the roots for you!

:(
Me still sad... such a nice, expensive plant, and you were caring for it so well... :(

it really is sad....im sure Andrew will get another one sometime though, i think his problem with orthenex was that he oversprayed...ive done it a couple times.....

well its new pitcher still hasnt opened...but damn is it going nuts
i know its not the 13th, but since andrew is kinda out right now, ill just regularly update this on its progress.
CPs12-21-08012.jpg

:0o:

Those hairs on the pitcher to the left of the image...

They are awesome!

:0o:

yeah ive been saying that myself jimmy! ive got great expectations for this little pitcher!

i said id keep this post active with updates...so here is one taken today
Neps3-21-09002.jpg

Ah yes, N. hamata! One of my all time favorites! Looking forwad to getting some of those again! The hairs the teeth...
It grows rather quickly too if you feed it on crickets weekly or bi-weekly and flush the container regularly. A couple good flushings a week is great so give it an airy substrate and a net pot if you can (an orchid pot covered entirely in holes) so the soil breathes / drains really easily. Adding a bit of Urea Free orchid fertilizer to the watering can every so often really helps chunk up the size too.

nice hamata. is it green form? how come the leaf color up but the pitchers don't?

This one has a strong heart. T_T

IMG_5895.jpg

No idea how a hair managed to get in there, nor whose it is. Certainly isn't mine.???

Congradulations, it's great to see that its coming back.

This one has a strong heart. T_T

IMG_5895.jpg

No idea how a hair managed to get in there, nor whose it is. Certainly isn't mine.???

The force is strong with this one. :bigthumpup:

i said id keep this post active with updates...so here is one taken today
Neps3-21-09002.jpg

Very nice. My seed-grown N. hamata are less brightly-pigmented than yours there. Do you keep them under intense lighting?

Back