What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orange fungus on Truncata?

I got a truncata about a week ago and when it came it was red and greenish color. Then the pitcher and some of its leaves started getting faded rusty orange spots on it and i have no idea what it is. I thought it was fungus but outside where its pot sits is in direct light and i haven't watered it in 5 days so it could be too dry for fungus.

So does this mean the leaves are just drying up and dying or can i prevent this somehow?

Here's a picture of some of it, right near the bottom.

DSCN6095.jpg

truncata pitchers turn orange/red. its not uncommon, the spots you see on the leaves are likely burned nectar glands or just basically a plants version of a sunburn.

Woah, that could be actual sunburn - not just burnt nectar glands. If it sits outside, try not to put it in direct sun, especially without gradual acclimation! Too much light + Too much heat = sunburn.

I would recommend sitting it in partial shade and see if that solves the problem.

allright, i'll remember to move it to a shady area tomorrow, thanks.

it would help for bigger picture.

it would help for bigger picture.

you mean increase pitcher size?

For some reason i had it next to my VFTs, i knew they didn't share much of the same requirements but i guess now i learned my lesson!

What upper suggested is a larger photo so that we can see more clearly what is wrong with the plant. I can't see the rusty orange spots too in the small photo you posted.

What upper suggested is a larger photo so that we can see more clearly what is wrong with the plant. I can't see the rusty orange spots too in the small photo you posted.

DSCN6099.jpg

Hope this helps. I put it in a shady place and it apears to have gotten worse.

It looks fine, but I'm no Nep expert.

it's fine.
truncata can take sun well, it's just adjusting to new conditions. I have 2 truncatas growing well that get full sun 4 hrs a day and 160w of floro for 7hrs a day. They are very tough neps with leathery leaves that tolerate less then optimal conditions. mine pitchures in the dead of winter with 15-40% humidity

That brownish spot on the lower leaf in the second picture is sunburn. The leaf above it looks alright. I wouldn't move it unless the plant shows signs of more sunburn. In the future just acclimate plants a little more slowly. Not many nurseries have their plants in full sun so you have to give them some time to adjust to higher light levels under your conditions.

So I didn't have to move it?

As long as the sunburn isn't getting worse and showing up on new areas I would just leave it. The new leaves that grow will be fully adapted to the sun.

Back