What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My Greenhouse, project in progress.

Well, to start off I would like to say hello to the many familiar faces on here. It's been too long :). Secondly I would like to say that I know this should probably go in the greenhouse section, but this greenhouse is completely filled with Nepenthes. Well, there are a few Cephs in there courtesy of Clint, but Neps dominate. Unfortunately I do not have too much time, so this post will be somewhat brief. I just wanted to share the fruits of my hard labor and get back in the forum after having been out for what feels like forever. I have to give a very special thanks to Mike Ludwig and Steve Duggins for their contributions to my greenhouse, as without them I could not have done it. Mike Ludwig was absolutely amazing and donated his entire plant collection to me after he had to move out and tear down his greenhouse. This is the reason my greenhouse is what it is today. Anyway, heres a couple pics of the setup and more to come soon (including pics of the sibuyanensis x Hamata that a couple people have requested - I didn't forget! sorry i've just been super busy lately).

First, the entire greenhouse from the outside:
GHWhole.jpg

Second, a small section of the greenhouse and a gaggle of neps:
Greenhousefifth.jpg

My pride and joy, compliments of Ludwig (Lowii x Ventricosa):
LowiixVentGH.jpg

And another:
LowiixVent2GH.jpg

I have a couple more pics on my iphone that I have been meaning to upload, but time is a factor, so I will try to update this thread soon! Thanks for everyone who has traded/contributed to my collection (you know who you are :)).

Edit: Just noticed that in the 3rd pic you can catch a glimpse of my baby sib x Hamata. It's the first whole plant that you can see in the bottom left corner.

absolutely amazing. WOW!!!! :D thanks for showing it to us. :)

wowwwwww very impressive

I agree though when you get time, I want a photo tour :)

i see a baby TM >_> lol **Drools** i want a Lowii x Ventricosa soooo badly...Briggsiana is amazing

Great stuff. I love greenhouse threads. They are probably my favorite thread subject out of all the others. Thanks for the brief introduction to your greenhouse. You'll have to fill us in more when you have time about the temperature management and other finer details. I totally understand, though; if I just built a greenhouse the last place I would be is in front of a computer!

Looking forward to the grand tour!

xvart.

Amazing! One of these days I'll have my own (real) greenhouse set up...:drool:

Looks awsome nepenthes, great job. Sad to hear about ludwig is everything ok?

Your greenhouse looks great and so does your lowii x ventricosa, beautiful specimen! I see some awesome Neps lurking around in their, cant wait for more pics when time allows!

Happy growing;
Victoria

Thanks for posting pictures of your plants they look so healthy and alot of nice pitchers too, also your greenhouse looks really nice I'm looking to build one in a couple of years that type of greenhouse is the kind that I'd like to put in my backyard did you order it online or had someone build it or something?

WOW! I wouldn't mind living in there :3

Thanks for the pics!

I don't understand how you guys get these things to grow in San Diego!! Isn't it warm?

Wow Daniel! Great GH you have there, as well as great looking plants.

Thank you so much for the comments everyone :). My greenhouse is at my parents' house (no room to build one at my house), so I will definitely get some more photos tomorrow when I go there. To answer a few questions, Mike Ludwig is doing great, but he recently moved into a condo and no longer has the room for a greenhouse. He may get back into growing a few plants, but I can tell he's definitely relieved of the responsibility of caring for SOO many plants (he had a ton, sadly some of them we had to toss because there were just too many - a greenhouse stuffed and his patio stuffed). I bought the greenhouse from Harbor Freight, it is their 10x12 foot version. I put it together by myself, which to say the least, was a HUGE headache. The directions are seriously lacking so I found the following website EXTREMELY helpful. I also did all the reinforcements suggested, as it makes the greenhouse MUCH more durable. It is definitely warm in San Diego, so I have a very large swamp cooler blasting cold air into the greenhouse during the day. I believe the swamp cooler is designed for 1250 Square feet and I calculated over 1000 cubic feet for the greenhouse so I accidentally bought a ridiculously huge swamp cooler not realizing it was Square, not cubic feet (only ~120 square feet). It turns out however, that this is just about the right size for this greenhouse in San Diego. I made a custom sprinkler system out of PVC and sprinkler heads that covers almost all of the plants. I still have to make some tweaks though to get the last few plants. I had an electrician install an outdoor socket inside the greenhouse yesterday so now I have a close-by socket as well (it's not the prettiest job, but it works). The greenhouse was 650$ for me to pick up at my local harbor freight warehouse, but it costs much more online plus shipping. I definitely spent triple that though on modifications and reinforcements. Anyway, I will try to get those pics up for sure tomorrow. Thank you so much for your interest everyone :). It's definitely nice to see :).

Thanks for the information on the greenhouse.

Here are some more pics as promised. I will edit this post later to add some more info if anyone is interested. Unfortunately time is always an issue for me.

The Sib x Hamata picture I promised: apparently there is some discussion as to whether or not it is really the cross labeled. Mine is still fairly small.
SibxHamPitcher.jpg

Inside the Greenhouse with the sprinklers on:
GHSprinklers.jpg

Backside of the Greenhouse and swamp cooler:
GHBackSide.jpg

RO system and water reservoir:
GHwatertank.jpg

1 Side of the G-house:
GH1Side.jpg

2nd side:
GH2Side.jpg

Steve Duggins' Thorelii x TM cutting:
SDugginsThorxTM.jpg

Daniel

Beautiful...just beautiful....i cant wait for the day i have a GH like that **Dream sequence**

Wow. That thorelii x TM is nasty! lol. Everything looks great. I saw that discussion about the sib x hamata. Will be interesting to see how these plants develop into maturity.

xvart.

wow xvart wasnt kidding, that thorelli X tm really is nasty! thats one of the coolest peristomes I've ever seen!

You have the exact setup I'd like to someday have. Fantastic greenhouse with great plants. Nep heaven!!

Nice pictures there very nice work with the plants and your greenhouse also that thorelli X tm is amazing looks like something out of a Scifi movie, well most pitcher plants looks like that too..

That thin on the N.Sibuyanensis X N.Hamata is kinda interesting I guess as time goes by and these plants mature we'll see I'm sure someone will eventually contact the people who did this hybrid to confirm it eitherway the Nep. I got is very nice I know it has some Sibuyanensis and the next tendril to form a pitcher is growing a tiny bit since it's been in my care so I'm happy with it..

Back