Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Soil

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The mix I use for my Neps is LFS:Perlite:Orchid Bark:Pumice in a 1:1:1:1 ratio.

It has always worked for me and ive noticed it works better than other mixes ive used.
    Max

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    And the hobbyist called Maehem swears by the use of pine needles as both an aid to their health and growth.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Like Dr. Wurm, I just use whatever I can get. Nepenthes aren't picky so I don't make much of a big deal out of it.
    Right now its
    Sphagnum:Peat:Perlite:Vermiculiterchid bark:Ceder mulch
    2:2:2:1:2:1. Yes its weird but it seems to work...
    I've lost my first two cuttings from rot in pure LFS mediums, so I won't be using it again and I always repot Nepenthes I receive that are potted in pure sphagnum.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, so here's what I have: orchid bark, vermirculite (I got it today, it seems ok...doesn't say it has fertilizer), some peat left, about a half a gallon of perlite, and sphagnum moss. What I'm think is orchid bark/sphagnum/peat (Just a little amount)/vermiculite or perlite (Might add). So it may look like this 1:1:...1/2-1/4?/1
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mark.ca View Post
    i see your problem with unpotting from lfs....how about the growing results? I'm guessing that none of your neps died from loosing a few roots from the unpotting proces....
    No, none died; but, you can see the root ball wasn't very big to begin with and I only had a handful of plants in LFS to begin with. Imagine a massive root ball or a massive number of plants... Another point I should have made is that as LFS decays and turns to liquid it removes any sort of structural capabilities it had; which is why things like orchid bark are important because it can continue to provide support to the roots long after your other components have turned to slime or washed out the bottom.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    One last question. I found this huge bag of peat moss, but it said Ph adjusted. I look at the back and it said some limestone was added. Is it still good for CPs?
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'd stay away from the Sphag - repotting will likely end up in a loss of roots, temporarily stunting the plants.

I wouldn't use limestone enhanced peat on the highlands you're receiving. It shouldn't be hard to find the normal stuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jefforever View Post
    I'd stay away from the Sphag - repotting will likely end up in a loss of roots, temporarily stunting the plants.

It shouldn't be hard to find the normal stuff.
    :O Orly? I'm still going to use it, though x_x

Yes, it is xD I checked three places for normal peat, all they had was Miracle-Gro peat.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast