What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi, I will be receiving Neps soon (bongso, ramispina, sanguinea and spectabilis x aristo if any of you are wondering) and the plant come bareroot, unfortunately (I don't like bareroot IMO). I know there are a lot of mixes people use, but I was thinking either 1:2 sphagnum/perlite, 1:2 peat/perlite, or 1:2 sphagnum/orchid bark (I would appreciate it if someone told me which brand of orchid bark to use.) Which one would you guys think is better for Nepenthes in your experience? I know I should've used the Search function, I don't have time right now.

I have used everything from:
50/50 peat and sand
orchid bark, LFS, and perlite - fairly equal parts of each (the orchid bark is the Better Gro brand)
50/50 LFS and perlite
what I am using now - cyrpess mulch.

Depending on pot size, I might add about 1/3 LFS to the cypress mulch to help hold moisture.

I wouldn't recommend the 50/50 peat and sand for what you are receiving. Same goes for 50/50 peat and perlite. This is good for boggier Neps like Bicals and Amps.

Through my experience in my conditions the orchid bark, LFS, and perlite mixture acts about the same as the 50/50 LFS and perlite. Those I water about every other day.

The cyrpess mulch, with or without LFS will need to be watered on a daily basis. If you plan on using really small pots (less than 4") I wouldn't recommend it as it would most likely dry out too fast, or require watering twice a day.

Just my two cents.

Also, congrats on the new plants!

Crystal

Last edited:
Well, in my experiance, they all work, but Orchid Bark/Peat/LFS works the best imo. A little bit of Horticultural sand never hurt anyone either

Ah, ok. Thanks :) I think I might go with the orchid bark/LFS/peat mix or something similar.

Is it realy necesary to use mixes? How about pure lfs?

In my opinion, bare root shipping is much better than potted. I rarely like the mixes that come with nursery plants.

I typically use a small handful of peat, a couple handfuls of orchid bark, and some perlite.

Is it realy necesary to use mixes? How about pure lfs?

I cannot disagree more. While I have nowhere near the experience that some others have, I despise LFS only potting techniques.

My Opinion on LFS

Philcula's N. rajah LFS experience

xvart.

i see your problem with unpotting from lfs....how about the growing results? I'm guessing that none of your neps died from loosing a few roots from the unpotting proces....

I just throw together whatever's around. My sanguinea is growing in peat-vermiculite-perlite-orchid bark mix of arbitrary ratios. Maybe if I had some LFS I'd add that too, but not too much.

The mix I use for my Neps is LFS:perlite:Orchid Bark:pumice in a 1:1:1:1 ratio.

It has always worked for me and ive noticed it works better than other mixes ive used.

And the hobbyist called Maehem swears by the use of pine needles as both an aid to their health and growth.

Like Dr. Wurm, I just use whatever I can get. Nepenthes aren't picky so I don't make much of a big deal out of it.
Right now its
Sphagnum:peat:perlite:Vermiculite:eek:rchid bark:Ceder mulch
2:2:2:1:2:1. Yes its weird but it seems to work...
I've lost my first two cuttings from rot in pure LFS mediums, so I won't be using it again and I always repot Nepenthes I receive that are potted in pure sphagnum.

Ok, so here's what I have: orchid bark, vermirculite (I got it today, it seems ok...doesn't say it has fertilizer), some peat left, about a half a gallon of perlite, and sphagnum moss. What I'm think is orchid bark/sphagnum/peat (Just a little amount)/vermiculite or perlite (Might add). So it may look like this 1:1:...1/2-1/4?/1

i see your problem with unpotting from lfs....how about the growing results? I'm guessing that none of your neps died from loosing a few roots from the unpotting proces....

No, none died; but, you can see the root ball wasn't very big to begin with and I only had a handful of plants in LFS to begin with. Imagine a massive root ball or a massive number of plants... Another point I should have made is that as LFS decays and turns to liquid it removes any sort of structural capabilities it had; which is why things like orchid bark are important because it can continue to provide support to the roots long after your other components have turned to slime or washed out the bottom.

xvart.

One last question. I found this huge bag of peat moss, but it said Ph adjusted. I look at the back and it said some limestone was added. Is it still good for CPs?

I'd stay away from the Sphag - repotting will likely end up in a loss of roots, temporarily stunting the plants.

I wouldn't use limestone enhanced peat on the highlands you're receiving. It shouldn't be hard to find the normal stuff.

I'd stay away from the Sphag - repotting will likely end up in a loss of roots, temporarily stunting the plants.

It shouldn't be hard to find the normal stuff.

:O Orly? I'm still going to use it, though x_x

Yes, it is xD I checked three places for normal peat, all they had was Miracle-Gro peat.

capensis, look for BIG bales of peat moss 4x2ft. It's cheap and all natural.

I did. I looked at each and every bag.

It's not a bag. It's a bale. It's the size of a footrest at the end of an easy chair. They are not in the bagged soil section. I think I paid 8 bucks for a bale of peat a year and a half ago and I still have enough to last me through Armageddon.

xvart.

Oh...I'm not exactly sure where that would be, then. Would it at least be in the garden section?

Back