What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Nepenthes Hamata, where can it grow?

If grown outside durring the summer, in what states could a hamata grow fine in?

If grown outside durring the summer, in what states could a hamata grow fine in?

Provided that myriad conditions are met (including some shading, reasonable daytime Tbs with relatively high humidity), any state where there exists cool to cold humid nights without frost. They can grow well in Northern California (from personal experience), Oregon, and Washington, but growing any highland tropical outside can be a complicated issue.

One would do better with older established Nepenthes hamata than those just out of tissue culture. The tiny plants are touchy and the adults can survive far more punishment . . .

How could you supply outside humidity? Spraying it with water and put a plastic bag over it?

Are they fast growers?

Putting bags over them might cook them.

I've found that humidity does not have to be that high. Anything above 50 is fine. Spraying will not do much and a bag will lead to more problems.

They grow best in elgecko's kitchen! :-))

Does anyone here know where I could possibly find one for a reasonable price?

we cant name vendors on this site. you might be able to find some for trade on CPUKforums....but its pretty much impossible to find em for under 40$ for a TC one anywhere.

Yikes! I saw one somewhere for 150$!? And I thought my Truncata was expensive.

yep. seedgrown hamatas are expensive....

All off-topic posts discussing the discussion of naming vendors, ebay, and google ads has been removed. As has been discussed in the past (individually to some of the deleted posters I might add) since the forums are paid for and supported by FlyTrapShop, naming and discussing other vendors and suppliers is a violation of the rules and expectations of membership. The following questions were raised that I will answer for clarification (and I could be wrong on some of this, so if Andrew or any of the other mods want to chime in a correct me that would be appreciated:
  • FlyTrapShop doesn't offer what I'm looking for. Publicly announcing names of other vendors who may sell the same wares as FlyTrapShop. This is not unique. It's the same with any business or company or service out there. I was trying to find a taxi that took credit card the other night and none of the companies would tell me any other taxi name, even though I had to use a credit card since it was for business;
  • Google Ads - as far as I know, Google Ads also pay to support the forum, and is generated by the content of the forum or the discussion topics. That's why in some of the general discussion threads you'll see people mentioning funny websites that match the topic. If Andrew wanted to remove this feature, he could;
  • Donation buttons - This was discussed a while ago here, here, and here; and,
  • Ebay discussion - Discussing eBay is fine, as far as I know. There have been numerous times since I joined where the topic of eBay has come up, although it generally involved the possible poaching of plants.

Any questions about this, pm me.

xvart.

Well I do not have a correction but I do wish to chime in.

Regarding all the comments made disagreeing with the site owners policies. When you became a member here you agreed to abide by the TOS of this site. No one is forcing you to use this site, you are doing that of your own free will. If the TOS offend you so much then leave, you are absolutely free to go elsewhere. No one will stop you. But do not hang around just to look for every opportunity to make a post griping about how much you hate/disagree with the TOS. Just because you are miserable here does not give you the right to try and make others miserable.

this is a privately owned site that is available to the public........most any other forums ive been on where the owner is selling stuff has the same sorta rules.......the rules for this site are far from unusual.....if yah dont like it i can think of 3 other CP forums off the top of my head......

who said they didn't like this site? i didn't, i don't think i'm making others miserable. i didn't see any criticism, just people stating the rules.

Peeps, shouldn't the posts be pertaining to the thread title? I have not seen a lot of information given as to where N. hamata can be grown.

Evergreen, it helps if you have your location stated with your avatar. It can be the state you are living in or the zone would suffice. The summer weather varies so much in the different areas that it makes it hard even for experienced growers here to give you accurate advice. N. hamata isn't a cheap plant nor is it that readily available for anyone to just try and grow.

who said they didn't like this site? i didn't, i don't think i'm making others miserable. i didn't see any criticism, just people stating the rules.

Evergreen,

You are correct, you did not say you did not like the site and you are not making people miserable. But there were other posts deleted from this thread that were from people criticizing/bashing the rules that they disagree with for the umpteenth time.

But all that aside now. Cindy is correct, a location would help us to help you :) FWIW I currently grow hamata in a highland oriented grow area I have set up in my crawlspace and I also have one growing on my kitchen windowsill. Both are doing very well.

Back