Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: serious bicalcarata help!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It may not be the amount of light. I think it looks temperature related. Also drastic humidity drops will cause bicals to turn black very fast. It only takes a short time for this to happen.
    Be patient and see what the next leaf looks like after acclimation as you have only had for 2 weeks and is still acclimating to your conditions ie humidity levels, temps etc.... But if your conditions are to drastic for bical to acclimate to you are beating your head against a wall. Bical needs steady hot and humid conditions to thrive.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by vraev View Post
    yes! Mine just kicked it up a notch and is starting to race ahead. yup! that die back is typical from a newly recieved plant. One has to be very very careful and provide very similar conditions to the vendor if you expect it to retain most of its leaves and older pitchers. But don't worry..... the growth tip looks good. yeah btw...I am using one 27 watt CFL as a light for this plant and it is thriving with pitchers that get bigger every time and the current pitcher is the size of a regular coffee cup.
    I don't know why but mine didn't have a die back, it just paused its growth for a wee bit. And wow, only a 27 watt light? how close is your bical?

Viva La Revolution de Nepenthes! nepenthes369's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    You didn't answer my question! It looks temperature related not light related to me.

As noted by others. N. bicalcarata hates change. Hates being repotted. Hates cold weather. I see you are in Michigan? Perhaps it got too cold during shipping. The usual response to something it isn't happy about is turn yellow and black ... fast. If conditions are proper after that it should recover.

As for low light, they can take full sun in Florida and Hawaii. I doubt you are over exposing it with a couple compact fluorescent bulbs.
    I highly agree with Tony. It does look more like a low light situation. I live in hawaii and they do tolerate fun sun, they are very touchy to transplanting and changes in their environment (temperature/humidity mainly). I lost my first two or three that I first bought, due to the local niche weather here, rains stop when I can't water them for two weeks, chilled one too much when I lived in a cooler zone of the island got root rot/very low light. The one I still have went through something similar (turning yellow to black) as for too much light it won't blacken instead it would yellow then brown out to a very dry almost tan brown, aka sunburn. I'd say if the temps. drop below 80 degrees F and low humidity/ possibly over watering, does it sit in a tray or does it allow for draining out. For lighting the compact flouresent bulbs work fairly well 20 -25 watts. Check these and hopefully there is still time to fix it.

Rob
    Viva La Revolution de Nepenthes!

Growlist:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=108969

Norhtern Michigan Dragway Mama *Barracuda_45*'s Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes369 View Post
    I highly agree with Tony. It does look more like a low light situation. I live in hawaii and they do tolerate fun sun, they are very touchy to transplanting and changes in their environment (temperature/humidity mainly). I lost my first two or three that I first bought, due to the local niche weather here, rains stop when I can't water them for two weeks, chilled one too much when I lived in a cooler zone of the island got root rot/very low light. The one I still have went through something similar (turning yellow to black) as for too much light it won't blacken instead it would yellow then brown out to a very dry almost tan brown, aka sunburn. I'd say if the temps. drop below 80 degrees F and low humidity/ possibly over watering, does it sit in a tray or does it allow for draining out. For lighting the compact flouresent bulbs work fairly well 20 -25 watts. Check these and hopefully there is still time to fix it.

Rob

I gota agree with Tony as well to.. The Bical GP_Princess got came in and didnt go under any stress at all only lost the one pitcher it had as it was already browning befour she got it, never had any probs from day one and its under strong lights, high himudidty and high temps and its growing like gangbusters and putting out lots pitchers.

alec where in michigan are you located? If your close enough i can come and help you out or even GP_Princess can come and check whats going on. Also im curious as well like stated by nepenthes369 is it sitting in a tray of water or able to drain once waterd? Are you using city water? Fertalizer of any type? What type potting media did you use? Alot of things can give us a better idea of whats going on once all the info is answerd..
    Hey buddy wana run, LETS GO!
    Northern Michigan All Car Drag Team *PRESIDENT*
    Red Hot Cherry's "NEW" PB 8.741 GO CHERRY! & "5" 1st place trophy wins 9 sec class.
    www.nmacdt.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm not sure but my Bical never show any problem, and I give it a hell of welcome, new pot as soon it get here, full sun on the green house and a looooottt of water (all my nepenthes get the same welcome treatment)...

I will say the water is maybe the problem...

N. Albomarginata, N. Ampullaria
    N. Bellii, N. Bicalcarata, N. Rafflesiana
    N. Sanguinea (Orange Pitcher), Cephalotus Follicularis

http://www.knology.net/~fus

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine looked like hell when I didn't give it enough water. They don't like it cold, but it does get down to 50 and my bicals just sulk a little. I am down to one right now because of a repot incident, but once I repotted into a wetter mix and have the sitting in about an inch of water the one larger one has taken off and opened up a nice pitcher for me! Colored up nicely too. It has almost doubled in size since giving it the less light and standing in water. I am using the mix out of Savage Garden. I cannot remember it right off hand.
    JB
    Friend me on facebook with JB_orchidguy@yahoo.com.
    Growlist Updated 05/08/13

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry Tony- to be honest, I cant find my thermometer, so I don't know. But I am shooting for 80, I have an aquarium heater in a large container full of water right next to the plant set as high as it will go (88)- soit should be between 70 and 80.

its not sitting in water. The soil is close to Savage Gardern I think 1:1 of vermiculite, perlite, lava rock, LFS etc...(little of everything) ,but I was a little low on aggregates (rock, bark, perlite) and I was thinking of redoing it. Could it be a pathogen? some of the rock (largish gravel ,pebbles?) I used was from a friend's greenhouse and it came out of a huge pile that he uses- could they have brought something with them from outside?

The growth point is still okay- maybe larger?, and some of the leaves still have green on them. The lid of the pitcher closed down as far as it could go- humidity?- I don't see how because it is in a humid terrarium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    barracuda, I'm in Dimondale (lansing area). I've been watering with rain water, but when I run out, I will use dehumidifyer water- is this going to be okay?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast