Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: serious bicalcarata help!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm ok.. no thermometer. How about this! When you put your hand in there does it feel noticeably warmer than the surrounding room temperature?

Not sure about your potting mix but I seriously doubt a pathogen would do what you are seeing. N. bicalcarata isn't fussy on potting mix as long as it holds a good amount of water and remains on the moist side all the time.

N. bicalcarata hates just about everything that messes with it's current life when going to a new one. It's normal response is to just up and turn yellow and black all over. The key though is to make sure its new home is to its liking and hopefully if the stress in relocating to its new home wasn't so severe that it outright up and croaks, it will establish and be happy once again. At which point you will need a small grow room in short order because N. bicalcarata will get huge fast.

So the question is.. are your current conditions suitable to make N. bicalcarata happy?

Get yourself a thermometer and find out what your day and night temperatures are. They are the single most important growth factor for N. bicalcarata. Ideally you want to shoot for 85-90 during the day and 80 at night.

oh yeah as far as the pitcher lid.. don't worry about it. Probably just a response to the plant roots not fully reestablished yet after being shipped repotted etc. The plant is just showing a little water stress. Now if the leaves begin to roll.. you have a problem.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got 80 -90 during day but its 70-75 at night.- I think I'll use another heater and keep it at 80.
    one more question: I was planning on repotting in it pure LFS. since you said that it probably doesn't mind the current one, should I avoid more disturbance and wait until it recovers?
    Thanks for all the help

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Paroubek View Post
    N. bicalcarata hates just about everything that messes with it's current life when going to a new one. It's normal response is to just up and turn yellow and black all over. The key though is to make sure its new home is to its liking and hopefully if the stress in relocating to its new home wasn't so severe that it outright up and croaks, it will establish and be happy once again. At which point you will need a small grow room in short order because N. bicalcarata will get huge fast.

So the question is.. are your current conditions suitable to make N. bicalcarata happy?
    Well said Tony!! I totally agree. I generally move around twice a year due to my school. I just moved to a new apartment and thankfully to God....I have never in my 6 moves since I got the bical ever had it go yellow on me. I still have pitcher and leaves from last year on my plant. The key is consistency. My night temps reach around 65F now....still it does ok. Just maintain the conditions properly....I ensure that the media is always moist and thats it....the plant does the rest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your temperatures sound ok Alec as long as your 80-90 range is more in the upper end rather than the lower end. Night temperature 70-75 are reasonable as long as the days are nice and warm 85+. As far as switching the media, if you are careful then you can probably repot to pure LFS without disturbiing it much further.

Tony
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My bicalcarata usually have temps in the low 80F to high 90F and nights are low 70F high 75F mine seems to take those night temps ok it's finaly opened it's second leaf all the way and it's finally growing a bit more faster I repotted mine when it came to me, but I'm not sure if it be ok for you, but I guess since the growthpoint still looks good and if your careful you can repot it would ok just be careful when doing it and watch it carefully it'll probably not grow much for a few weeks due to the shock and so on.
    .../l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノgrowlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    so, it isn't growing, but the exitsting leaves are declining. They started to curl a bit, and they aren't getting any greener. The growth tip looks exactly the same.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123