Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: serious bicalcarata help!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

serious bicalcarata help!!!

Just got this plant about a week ago. It was in a grow tank with four 20W daylight bulbs. It started yellowing so now it has two bulbs 14 hours a day. A small piece of the pitcher turned black and I assumeed that this was because of a drop in humidity at some point, but when I looked at it today. The developing pitcher and a leaf are partially black.

Anyone have suggestions??

I see this premature vine?, leaf? growing from the leaf on the right of this picture below still looks pretty good.

do I have enough light with only two 20W bulbs 14hr/day?

What is and what should never be Crissytal's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From my experience this plant does not ship and transplant well. Leave it alone and give it some time is the best that I can recommend. As far as lighting goes, perhaps someone more experienced can answer that.

Crystal
    Where do we go when we just don't know,
    And how do we relight the flame when it's cold?
    Why do we dream when our thoughts mean nothing,
    And when will we learn to control?
    --Godsmack

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What are your day and night temperatures?
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm. I'm still pretty new to N.bicalcarata I agree it sometimes don't take too well to shipping if you keep in in good conditions I'm sure it'll start to grow well is it in the same pot it shiped in or did you have to pot it also what it's growing condition temps and humidity does it get sunlight or just bulbs?

I've been growing mine for two months where it grew before it came into my hands got cold damage so it's slowly recovering so far it's made two new leaves so most likely yours will bounce back once it gets the right amount of light and humidity as long as it has a healthy looking growing tip it should be ok.
    .../l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノgrowlist

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    These guys are finicky but vigorous when they get going. The yellowing suggests overlighting to me. As far as I understand, until they start their explosive adult growth N. bicalcurata enjoy shady conditions, similar to N. ampullaria. Tony can tell you lots more than I can though.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yes! Mine just kicked it up a notch and is starting to race ahead. yup! that die back is typical from a newly recieved plant. One has to be very very careful and provide very similar conditions to the vendor if you expect it to retain most of its leaves and older pitchers. But don't worry..... the growth tip looks good. yeah btw...I am using one 27 watt CFL as a light for this plant and it is thriving with pitchers that get bigger every time and the current pitcher is the size of a regular coffee cup.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thanks everyone for the answers!
    I didn't realize the light had to be that low!- before this I've been growing dews and they cant get enough light.
    looking forward to those big pitchers!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You didn't answer my question! It looks temperature related not light related to me.

As noted by others. N. bicalcarata hates change. Hates being repotted. Hates cold weather. I see you are in Michigan? Perhaps it got too cold during shipping. The usual response to something it isn't happy about is turn yellow and black ... fast. If conditions are proper after that it should recover.

As for low light, they can take full sun in Florida and Hawaii. I doubt you are over exposing it with a couple compact fluorescent bulbs.
    Is that a Nepenthes in your pocket or you just happy to see me?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast