Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seed grown or TC hamata?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi all..

Seed grown plants might be a HUGHE gamble. The problem as highlighted by the BE sibuyanensis x hamata seedlings. If you aren't looking for a hamata as shown in pictures, fork out the $$ on a gamble and you might be rewarded, or you could end up with a worthless cross of something. A TC clone has specific characteristics, that is why it is in TC....

HTH
    P

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have one that I'm pretty sure is a TC but it's small and is on and off on how it does. So I was looking to maybe get some more when I have a more stable set-up for cooling and whatnot. I'm not really trying to breed any but it would be cool to have a female if I wanted to. At the same time its a maybe you could get a female. I'm just looking for what is a better grower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have 3 different Wistuba clones and also a seed grown hamata. Have only had the seed grown for 3 months and has already caught up to my clone #3 that I have had for 8-9 months. They are growing in the same conditions right next to each other. Of the 3 Wistuba clones I have #1 seems to be the most vigorous.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macamus3 View Post
    I have 3 different Wistuba clones and also a seed grown hamata. Have only had the seed grown for 3 months and has already caught up to my clone #3 that I have had for 8-9 months. They are growing in the same conditions right next to each other. Of the 3 Wistuba clones I have #1 seems to be the most vigorous.
    I have heard anecdotes about tissue cultured versus seed-grown Nepenthes and Heliamphora for several years now, though know no one directly who has experienced any differences between them, insofar as growth rate is concerned.

How old were the seed-grown plants mentioned and how long ex-vitro were the Wistuba plants?
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Viva La Revolution de Nepenthes! nepenthes369's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seed grown all the way it may cost more but the plant will be twice the TC plant could ever be, with good conditions. I'm transgressing to all seed grown plants but It's gonna be a while.
    Viva La Revolution de Nepenthes!

Growlist:
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=108969

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes369 View Post
    Seed grown all the way it may cost more but the plant will be twice the TC plant could ever be, with good conditions. I'm transgressing to all seed grown plants but It's gonna be a while.
    I have had both TC and seed-grown Nepenthes and Heliamphora reach flowering maturity over the years; and provided that proper cultivation is involved, I still find no reason to justify the sometimes vast differences in price . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by porcinip View Post
    Seed grown plants might be a HUGHE gamble. The problem as highlighted by the BE sibuyanensis x hamata seedlings. If you aren't looking for a hamata as shown in pictures, fork out the $$ on a gamble and you might be rewarded, or you could end up with a worthless cross of something. A TC clone has specific characteristics, that is why it is in TC....
    I had a conversation with PK a while back about this very thing. There should only be an extremely slight chance of cross pollination between two species since, as far as I know, the distribution of N. hamata is not around other Nepenthes species. The only real chance would be a cross with N. tentaculata, even small then. If someone has contradictory information, please provide.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey BigBella, Not sure of the age of the seedgrown hamata when recieved but could not have been to old as was about the size of a nickle and now is about 3" leaf tip to tip. The Wistuba catalog says there clones are 6-12 months ex-vitro
    Also you stated you grew N. hamata seedlings. Do you have a source for hamata seed? I was under the impression there was no domestic source for hamata seed as there are no females in cultivation.. Do you have a source for seed from Sulawesi? If so would you share? All the TC hamatas are male I have been told?? That is my main reason for spending so much on a seed grown hamata, the 30% chance I might get a female.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast