Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Seed grown or TC hamata?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i would honestly be pissed if i found out they had a way of sexing plants at a seedling size, as to not release females...>_< since there are genes that seperate females from males, a specimen could have a leaf removed or something to test for the female chromosome....like how the x and y chromosomes in humans or animals in general, why couldnt they do it with plants? get my drift?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hmm that would be nice if they could test if it's female or male I'm sure if they could do that then maybe male seedlings would go for less and females way more something like that..

There would be some unhappy custumers if they did do that and someone found out about it because that's one of the reason people buy seedgrown N.hamata or any seed grown nep for that matter..
    .../l、
    ゙(゚、 。 7
     l、゙ ~ヽ
     じしf_, )ノgrowlist

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seriously, no one is interested in sexing Nepenthes because there is no medical/political/economical/agricultural reason to do so.

Plant sex determination and sex chromosomes
    http://www.nature.com/hdy/journal/v8.../6800016a.html
    Cindy

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by macamus3 View Post
    Hey BigBella, Not sure of the age of the seedgrown hamata when recieved but could not have been to old as was about the size of a nickle and now is about 3" leaf tip to tip. The Wistuba catalog says there clones are 6-12 months ex-vitro
    Also you stated you grew N. hamata seedlings. Do you have a source for hamata seed? I was under the impression there was no domestic source for hamata seed as there are no females in cultivation.. Do you have a source for seed from Sulawesi? If so would you share? All the TC hamatas are male I have been told?? That is my main reason for spending so much on a seed grown hamata, the 30% chance I might get a female.
    The source of the 2006 batch of seeds were from an ex in Queensland. She had the amazing luck of obtaining a number of Nepenthes females in the past, among them N. bongso, N. hamata, and N. macrophylla. I am diligently attempting to obtain more seed for next year.

I was honestly unaware that the TC plants were all male, seeing as there are a number of clones available, both from Wistuba and Borneo Exotics. You mentioned that the N. hamata were between 6-12 months ex-vitro. There can be quite a bit of variation in size within six months time, even among seedlings.

Here are a couple of shots of both seed-grown (above) and tissue-cultured Nepenthes hamata (below) of similar ages:

“Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes369 View Post
    Seed grown all the way it may cost more but the plant will be twice the TC plant could ever be, with good conditions. I'm transgressing to all seed grown plants but It's gonna be a while.
    given ive had a couple hundred seed grown plants in the last couple years i have to say BS.....ive run across seed grown individuals that were weaker than any TC clone....also ran into some more robust...and most are on par with TC clones...its the gamble of genetics........seed grown IN NO WAY guarantees a more robust plant, infact i think the opposite might be true.....if someone germinates a bunch of seed and sells every one of them while quite small i would say the chances of you getting a weak individual is much higher than with TC......between 3 and 8 months of growth i tend loose about 10% of the total seedlings cause they are rather weak and die off....course part of this is i dont baby my seedlings if i get a bunch....i grow them slightly hard in order to weed out the weaker plants........
    cervid serial killer
    Know guns, know peace, know safety. No guns, no peace, no safety
    I didn't get stimulated but he kept his promise on change, that's about all I got left!
    http://www.wolfpointherald.com/--http://www.safety-brite.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The good thing about Borneo Exotics seedgrown Hamata, this year anyway, is that they are from a new location, wont even name the mountain yet, and show very unique characteristics, so if you want a unique Hamata that looks nothing like everyone elses, seedgrown from BE is the way to go, considering they are very limited right now. check out their descripion that they have on the site.

copied from BE's pricelist

These plants originate from a different mountain (as yet undisclosed) from any
    Nepenthes hamata released before and their final pitcher coloration is not yet
    known although all wild specimens observed were dark. Leaves of adult specimens
    are green, although leaf colouration of seedlings is often red. The upper pitchers
    have less pronounced claws than the commonly circulated TC clones from Gng.
    Lumut and the lower pitchers are generally more robust (larger). Peristomes on
    mature plants are sometimes red.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey BigBella how are you? You are very lucky to have a seed source for N. hamata. I would give my left testicle to have a pod of viable hamata seed to try and germinate.

Also on the TC being all male; that is what I was told on a discussion on the ICPS website forum about a year ago. All of the Wistuba clones are male. As far as BE goes, I was told they had a foulup with a new employee at there TC lab with the N. hamata clones. Becuase of this they had to destroy there TC hamatas? Now they are growing seedlings I assume to start there TC hamatas again and also selling seedlings.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    lol maca, yes Robert had some issues involving a former partner that provided him with TC plants, which he later cloned in his labs, any plants he had that were from this former partner, or cloned from those plants, had to be destroyed. I do not know if this is why he stopped clones, but it does fit together. he had many other plants that had to be destroyed, and they showed part of it in a BE documentary that was filmed by Siggi or w.e his name is. Very sad issue, but it happens....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast