What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seed grown or TC hamata?

I'm debating what one to get. The seed growen is way more so is it worth it?

I've never grown a seed grown or TC hamata yet I plan to get a seedgrown one soon, but it's up to you with seed grown N.hamata there's a chance it might be a female while TC ones are all male I think and from what SirKrustiff says it seems his seedgrown N.hamata is a good grower.

Both would be good plants and some say seed grown plants are more stronger then TC plants which I can't really say if that's true only seed grown nep I got is a N.sibuyanensis X n.Hamata? hopefully I can get a few more seed grown plants in the future..

its up to you weither its worth the extra $, no one else can make that decision........personally if i just wanted a hamata i wouldnt care which it was.....seed grown plants are fun to see if something interesting pops up in slight variations on color or pitcher shape or size and that kinda stuff.....or you could wind up with a male that looks identical to any of the ones out of TC........

ive got both, personally the seedgrown seems to be a more vigorous grower, and even better is you have the chance of getting a female since all known clones are male.

I'm debating what one to get. The seed growen is way more so is it worth it?

I've grown both over the years and -- personally -- haven't witnessed any difference between the two. I germinated a bunch of Nepenthes hamata seeds in 2006 and obtained a couple of small TC plants later that same year. Both forms were just as vigorous under my growing conditions, though a seed-grown plant does have that all-elusive chance (40% or so from what I've read) of being that rare female . . .

though a seed-grown plant does have a chance (40% or so from what I've read) of being that rare female . . .

If you can get it to survive that long!

I'd say that seedgrown hamata is more vigorous because it hasn't died on me yet. I had summer temperatures of 100+ and it kept producing leaves even if they did look pretty bad.

If you can get it to survive that long!

what makes you say that? only unusual requirement ive found for this species is that when small its rather intolerant of low humidity other than that it seems rather indifferent to normal household temps.......its a rather easy plant to grow from what ive found.....

hi all..

Seed grown plants might be a HUGHE gamble. The problem as highlighted by the BE sibuyanensis x hamata seedlings. If you aren't looking for a hamata as shown in pictures, fork out the $$ on a gamble and you might be rewarded, or you could end up with a worthless cross of something. A TC clone has specific characteristics, that is why it is in TC....

HTH
P

I have one that I'm pretty sure is a TC but it's small and is on and off on how it does. So I was looking to maybe get some more when I have a more stable set-up for cooling and whatnot. I'm not really trying to breed any but it would be cool to have a female if I wanted to. At the same time its a maybe you could get a female. I'm just looking for what is a better grower.

I have 3 different Wistuba clones and also a seed grown hamata. Have only had the seed grown for 3 months and has already caught up to my clone #3 that I have had for 8-9 months. They are growing in the same conditions right next to each other. Of the 3 Wistuba clones I have #1 seems to be the most vigorous.

I have 3 different Wistuba clones and also a seed grown hamata. Have only had the seed grown for 3 months and has already caught up to my clone #3 that I have had for 8-9 months. They are growing in the same conditions right next to each other. Of the 3 Wistuba clones I have #1 seems to be the most vigorous.

I have heard anecdotes about tissue cultured versus seed-grown Nepenthes and Heliamphora for several years now, though know no one directly who has experienced any differences between them, insofar as growth rate is concerned.

How old were the seed-grown plants mentioned and how long ex-vitro were the Wistuba plants?

Seed grown all the way it may cost more but the plant will be twice the TC plant could ever be, with good conditions. I'm transgressing to all seed grown plants but It's gonna be a while.

Seed grown all the way it may cost more but the plant will be twice the TC plant could ever be, with good conditions. I'm transgressing to all seed grown plants but It's gonna be a while.

I have had both TC and seed-grown Nepenthes and Heliamphora reach flowering maturity over the years; and provided that proper cultivation is involved, I still find no reason to justify the sometimes vast differences in price . . .

Seed grown plants might be a HUGHE gamble. The problem as highlighted by the BE sibuyanensis x hamata seedlings. If you aren't looking for a hamata as shown in pictures, fork out the $$ on a gamble and you might be rewarded, or you could end up with a worthless cross of something. A TC clone has specific characteristics, that is why it is in TC....

I had a conversation with PK a while back about this very thing. There should only be an extremely slight chance of cross pollination between two species since, as far as I know, the distribution of N. hamata is not around other Nepenthes species. The only real chance would be a cross with N. tentaculata, even small then. If someone has contradictory information, please provide.

xvart.

Hey BigBella, Not sure of the age of the seedgrown hamata when recieved but could not have been to old as was about the size of a nickle and now is about 3" leaf tip to tip. The Wistuba catalog says there clones are 6-12 months ex-vitro???
Also you stated you grew N. hamata seedlings. Do you have a source for hamata seed? I was under the impression there was no domestic source for hamata seed as there are no females in cultivation.. Do you have a source for seed from Sulawesi? If so would you share? All the TC hamatas are male I have been told????? That is my main reason for spending so much on a seed grown hamata, the 30% chance I might get a female.

i would honestly be pissed if i found out they had a way of sexing plants at a seedling size, as to not release females...>_< since there are genes that seperate females from males, a specimen could have a leaf removed or something to test for the female chromosome....like how the x and y chromosomes in humans or animals in general, why couldnt they do it with plants? get my drift?

Hmm that would be nice if they could test if it's female or male I'm sure if they could do that then maybe male seedlings would go for less and females way more something like that..

There would be some unhappy custumers if they did do that and someone found out about it because that's one of the reason people buy seedgrown N.hamata or any seed grown nep for that matter..

Hey BigBella, Not sure of the age of the seedgrown hamata when recieved but could not have been to old as was about the size of a nickle and now is about 3" leaf tip to tip. The Wistuba catalog says there clones are 6-12 months ex-vitro???
Also you stated you grew N. hamata seedlings. Do you have a source for hamata seed? I was under the impression there was no domestic source for hamata seed as there are no females in cultivation.. Do you have a source for seed from Sulawesi? If so would you share? All the TC hamatas are male I have been told????? That is my main reason for spending so much on a seed grown hamata, the 30% chance I might get a female.

The source of the 2006 batch of seeds were from an ex in Queensland. She had the amazing luck of obtaining a number of Nepenthes females in the past, among them N. bongso, N. hamata, and N. macrophylla. I am diligently attempting to obtain more seed for next year.

I was honestly unaware that the TC plants were all male, seeing as there are a number of clones available, both from Wistuba and Borneo Exotics. You mentioned that the N. hamata were between 6-12 months ex-vitro. There can be quite a bit of variation in size within six months time, even among seedlings.

Here are a couple of shots of both seed-grown (above) and tissue-cultured Nepenthes hamata (below) of similar ages:

Nhamataseed.jpg
N-hamataTC.jpg

Back