What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. veitchii 'Bareo Highland' - Picture Progression

I missed out on a large N. veitchii 'Batu Lawi' in the NASC auction - I knew I couldn't pay more than $100 on one plant (now I know better - or worse! ;)). Quick, SK, grow it big and give us some eye-candy!

how did the batu lawi look!? ive never seen an adult of this form in cultivation. only photos from the wild

Wow, it's really hairy. :O

SK, from what I remember: It had about a 16" leafspan, and the only pitchers it had were dried up. The largest was 4" tall, if I remember correctly - but my memory is foggy, lol. I don't remember seeing any intact peristomes, but the pitcher bottoms were yellow. Probably not as hairy as this variant, though. Looked kinda like it has a somewhat lowlander veitchii morphology compared to this one, too.

Beautiful plant! Remind me - what's your humidity run?

Also, one of my most wanted is the striped highland veitchii.

My humidity nowadays runs at around 30-50%; I keep the windows closed because it gets too cold outside now - so there's not as much humidity fluctuation or temperature drop as before, either.

Oh, what I'd do for a striped N. veitchii! ;)

I'll find the date for this one later...
IMG_0192.jpg

After the peristome folded over and the pitcher got done developing, this is starting to look more squat, with a more magnificent peristome:

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0357.jpg

IMG_0360.jpg

That new pitcher was just amazing. The close up is great.

I love the close up of the teeth. o.o Is it me, or does the pitcher shape remind me of a bical?

Eh. :D How great would a N. veitchii x bical be?

Hey Jimmy, is that densiflora looking an better?

...Actually, it had a mite infestation. I just threw the whole plant and media after I confirmed it was mites (the orange-red microscopic dots were getting larger and spreading). I figured it was easier just to do that than to buy some pesticide for one plant, and risk giving the mites time to spread to my other plants (my N. veitchii, N. hamata, and N. glabrata were actually the closest to the N. densiflora).

orange-red dots? i have those in my mini-bog, but they look like spiders because they're making webs. so i just squish em :O ive only seen 2

Wow, i'm sorry. I never knew. When did it pick up mites? all my plants are fine. That must have been great to get a mite infested plant. Sorry.

Wow Veithii is a beautiful Plant I really want one now!

No worries, Mr. Truncata. :) I'm thinking that the N. densiflora might have had them before you even got it, especially if you got it from a certain vendor...

None of my plants are showing signs of pests, so all is well. At least now I know what to look out for.

Back