Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Glabrata experiment

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DroseraBug View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I've got to figure something out by spring and summer or I could continue adding the ice water bottles at night. My next project may be a small air conditioner linked to my grow chamber.

I just got a glabrata so can't really give an update but currently its getting high humidity and low 60s at night. My tentac is putting on some growth at those temps. North Carolina is probably not the best state to grow highland Neps but I'm gonna figure it out or invest in a cooled greenhouse. I love these plants. Look forward to seeing updates on the glabratas in this thread.
    Yep, I've considered an air conditioner as well; in fact, I've thought about turning my entire walk-in closet into a growchamber the size of an ameteur greenhouse! I'll have to get a cool-mist humidifier and try that first.

When you feel you have something to show off about your N. glabrata and N. tentaculata, please do! You may want to post both in this thread, or make a new one of your own, or something. But I am getting a N. tentaculata as well (the Trusmadi form) and will be eagerly awaiting any pics of others' success! Plus, even now, we don't see enough N. glabratas onh the forums.
    "I'm just a scientist without the proper documentation."

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113724

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh, I forgot I had better pics as well:

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DroseraBug View Post
    I'm in the same boat. I've got to figure something out by spring and summer or I could continue adding the ice water bottles at night. My next project may be a small air conditioner linked to my grow chamber.

I just got a glabrata so can't really give an update but currently its getting high humidity and low 60s at night. My tentac is putting on some growth at those temps. North Carolina is probably not the best state to grow highland Neps but I'm gonna figure it out or invest in a cooled greenhouse. I love these plants. Look forward to seeing updates on the glabratas in this thread.
    Amen to that!
    NC isn't too bad for highland neps in the winter, but when summer rolls around the night temps just shoot up.
    Please let me know how it goes for you with cooling DroseraBug.

I'm considering a cool mist system. Does anyone know how effectively these lower temps?

Edit: Nice pictures, Jimmy!
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos Jimmy.

I'll add some photos here or elsewher soon. I just got my glabrata last week along with a mira and spathulata. Crossing my fingers on the tentac and glabrata. Its currently 61F in the plant room right now with the windows open. I'll update soon with some photos.

Yellowdart,

I'm not sure what cool mist system you want. I use one exo terra fogger along with a misting system/aquarium fan. The chamber I built is insulated 75%. I don't have good growing windows so mine is artificial although in winter I'm using the cool air from the outside as the chamber is backed up against too windows. I close all heat vents in the grow room and shut the door. This keeps the cool air in one room of the house.

The mister, fogger (both of these hooked to timers), and fans get the temps down to ambient quick following the lights turning off for night. I then open the windows and that brings the temps down another 15F from about 75F to 60F. Thats about as good as I can do without ice or hopefully a/c before summer. I'm married so I can't just open all the window. I'm lucky she lets me get one room cool. The fogger and mister really kick the humidity up though and make it look cool. See http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=115625.

I've got a few more plants now and the only one having problems thus far is the spectabilis I guess I should have done better with tranplanting and shock. It's starting to get a couple of brown leaves. I'll post some photos soon either here or elsewhere. Thanks for this thread as I feel it will be helpfull with future good growing. Hope to see the updates on the glabratas soon.

Good growing!
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    Farley Mowat

My Growlist

sea bear returns! theyellowdart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the info DB, I really appreciate it!
    My plants are growing in my room, so, like you, I usually can't get the temp down below 60 with everything off (lights, tv, computer, etc).
    I think I might try isolating a shelf on my grow rack and placing a cool mist humidifier inside. Hopefully that will do the trick during the summer; I'd really like to get into some higher elevation (lower temp requirement) nepenthes.
    growlist

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Yellowdart,

That's what I was thinking of doing. It seems the easiest way to go about summer-growing Highlanders. I just need to keep my eyes peeled so I can find one - maybe at Lowes, Home Depot, or Walmart - an start experimenting before summer comes around. Oh, and get a new growrack that I can keep inside and zip up at night, but isn't rusty already! XD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mmk two pitchers inflating, here is the largest currently

smallest, deffinitly inflating, gets a little bigger each day.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yours is like, right on track with mine, Lol! We'll also have to take pics of our plants with rulers for reference.

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast