What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glabrata experiment

Thanks for the info DB, I really appreciate it!
My plants are growing in my room, so, like you, I usually can't get the temp down below 60 with everything off (lights, tv, computer, etc).
I think I might try isolating a shelf on my grow rack and placing a cool mist humidifier inside. Hopefully that will do the trick during the summer; I'd really like to get into some higher elevation (lower temp requirement) nepenthes.

Hey Yellowdart,

That's what I was thinking of doing. It seems the easiest way to go about summer-growing Highlanders. I just need to keep my eyes peeled so I can find one - maybe at Lowes, Home Depot, or Walmart - an start experimenting before summer comes around. Oh, and get a new growrack that I can keep inside and zip up at night, but isn't rusty already! XD

mmk two pitchers inflating, here is the largest currently
neps11-9-08001.jpg

smallest, deffinitly inflating, gets a little bigger each day.
neps11-9-08004.jpg

Yours is like, right on track with mine, Lol! We'll also have to take pics of our plants with rulers for reference.

remember, i got mine after you did, and mine has already opened up a pitcher ;)

Bah, humbug, yours came with an open pitcher and one that was about to open anyway. ;) And it looks like yours is a little bigger than mine, too!

actually those two died Jimmy lol

Aw. Sorry to hear that. But it looks like you have some brand new ones coming up fast!

yeah im excited for them...ill post pics when they open

Looking great so far! We need to get some updates from Andrew x3

Update:

IMG_1255.jpg

This pitcher stopped inflating at a small size and opened.
IMG_1257.jpg

This is why.
IMG_1258.jpg

Damaged midrib.

A new one is rapidly inflating.
IMG_1256.jpg

Update on my plant
rapidly growing now
pitcher on lower right opened 2 days ago. pitcher in far back left, still inflating. just off to the left of the newest opened pitcher on the lower right, a new pitcher is starting to inflate. Very quick grower in my conditions
neps12-1-08003.jpg

Looking good. I like your pitcher size to plant size ratio. I'm still waiting on my first glabrata pitchers. I've got a feeling I'll have a new one by January or maybe even for Christmas. My tentac is beginning to look promising as well.

Very nice pitchers. Looks like your lowii has a pretty nice pitcher, too. ;)

Update: as of December 20th, 2008.

From four different angles.

Normal growing orientation.
IMG_0124.jpg

Rotated about 90 degrees...
IMG_0125.jpg

Rotated again...
IMG_0122.jpg

And again...
IMG_0123.jpg

Most recent pitcher. Another tendril has buried itself so deep in the fast-growing moss next to this one, where no doubt it's inflating while hiding.
IMG_0108.jpg

nice im going to have to get one soon lol

nice jimmy. ill get updates on mine again later. too lazy to break out my cam

Thanks, SK. Lol, I know what you mean about the camera, and photobucket is a pain as well...

Lol! Matt, it's one of the best buys I've made - I'd completely recommend getting one. ;)

they are fast!
i think i have to admit sphagnum likes you more than it likes me
but then again my media isnt very sphagnum friendly

Last edited by a moderator:
Back