What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glabrata experiment

Between Andrew(Chunkyhunks), Jimmy, and myself. all 3 of us have received Glabrata of the same size from the same vendor, this experiment will test which conditions the plants like more. Ultrahighland/Highland, Normal Highland, and Highland-Intermediate. Pictures can be added at any time, this is not a contest or anything of the sort, but a way to figure out which conditions the plants like most...And its for fun!!! Pictures can be posted any time, and there is no set end time for this yet, my guess will be a year from todays date 10-22-08.

First off, We have Jimmy's Glabrata. Jimmy, feel free to post pics of it as an update here if youd like, to document its growth pattern. Jimmy's Glabrata is the speciment for Highland-Intermdiate with lower humidity.
IMG_0938.jpg

Here is Andrew's Glabrata. He is providing the specimen to be grown in typical highland conditions.
gallery_20_61_4770.jpg

And we have mine, i will be providing the specimen for the Ultrahighland/Highland conditions...
2962263529_0480fa5e68_o.jpg

Hey, :)

This should be really cool! I'm glad to participate - I'll post pics regularly and also post some specifications on its growing conditions at the time of he post.

Ready, Get set, Go Glabratas, Go!

Heres a little info about my conditions.
4 20w 24" fluorescent tubes, 2 Daylight, 2 coolwhite.
Temps are 75-80ºF in the day, 45-55ºF at night.
Humidity in the day is 70-80%, and at night 90-100%. I water once to twice a week, and the growing media this plant is in is equal ratios of horticultural sand, peat, perlite, long-fiber sphagnum moss, orchid bark and osmunda fiber with a top dressing of LFS and some live LFS

I'm gonna say that the ultrahighland grows the best.

I'm gonna say that the ultrahighland grows the best.

I'll beg to differ! Mine is dropping tendrils, working on a new leaf, and inflating a pitcher (on a leaf with a damaged midrib, no less!) to notable size - all in a weighted average of 25-30% humidity throughout the day!

grand045.jpg

You can barely see the inflating pitcher in the upper left corner of the pic. I think the samller leaf is from barerooting and shipping stress.

Sorry that the pic isn't the best; I don't have the opportunity to take pics with sunlight because I get home after 5:30.

Jimmy

Well done!

This one stumps me. It has been one of my most stubborn neps. I've had it for 6+ months, and keep it in stable highland to lately ultra-highland conditions, and it refuses to pitcher. It is growing quite well, putting out a new leaf every couple weeks, the long tendrils drop, and then it aborts each pitcher before they start inflating. Yet all my other neps seem to be flourishing (even got my spectabilis to pitcher! yay!). High light, cool temps, moderate to high humidity, no pests, yet it pouts. GRR.

Edit: Was your sphagnum alive already or did it green up in just the past couple weeks?

Mine has been growing quite well now that it has settled in. opened up a pitcher, inflating 2 more. working on another leaf. the whole 9 yards lol.
here it is now
newest pitcher to open
glabrataupdated10-5-08002.jpg

and the overall plant, inflating the one pitcher on the right, and then another one to the rear of the plant and burried itself in sphagnum moss
glabrataupdated10-5-08001.jpg

@SK: Looking ver nice!

@Capensis: Thanks!

@Nightsky: Thanks as well! I got some very nice Live sphagnum in a trade a couple weeks ago, and so i plopped the growing tips into the glabrata's pot. Mine is subject to breezes at night as well; perhaps you could try improving air circulation around yours and see how it does? That's the only variable I might think of if your temps, humidity, and high light levels are correct.

Well yes it is growing nice with a new leaf and new pitcher in flating but the one in the ultra has what a new pitcher and two new ones inflating. So it looks that yours is growing, but the ultra is growing better.

Is anyone feeding their Nep (as that would change the experiment)?

I don't feed mine. They catch gnats I'm sure though.

Jimmy,

What are your temperatures at night?

Ah, my night temps... They are actually determined by how much I open the window at night, how much of a breeze there is, and how cold the air actually is... usually it gets no lower than 45 degrees in the morning on th windowsill, if I can help it, but usually I wake up to fing the digital thermometer reading somewhere around the low-mid 50s. That's in the early morning; for the rest of the night, it has usuall been getting around the upper 50's, but recently it's been getting cooler. We've had our first few nightly lows be below freezing within the past week.

I'm kind of worried about how this Nep with fare in the summer, though. Hopefully I can have a decent cooling system set up for it by then.

I'm kind of worried about how this Nep with fare in the summer, though. Hopefully I can have a decent cooling system set up for it by then.

I'm in the same boat. I've got to figure something out by spring and summer or I could continue adding the ice water bottles at night. My next project may be a small air conditioner linked to my grow chamber.

I just got a glabrata so can't really give an update but currently its getting high humidity and low 60s at night. My tentac is putting on some growth at those temps. North Carolina is probably not the best state to grow highland Neps but I'm gonna figure it out or invest in a cooled greenhouse. I love these plants. Look forward to seeing updates on the glabratas in this thread.

I'm in the same boat. I've got to figure something out by spring and summer or I could continue adding the ice water bottles at night. My next project may be a small air conditioner linked to my grow chamber.

I just got a glabrata so can't really give an update but currently its getting high humidity and low 60s at night. My tentac is putting on some growth at those temps. North Carolina is probably not the best state to grow highland Neps but I'm gonna figure it out or invest in a cooled greenhouse. I love these plants. Look forward to seeing updates on the glabratas in this thread.

Yep, I've considered an air conditioner as well; in fact, I've thought about turning my entire walk-in closet into a growchamber the size of an ameteur greenhouse! I'll have to get a cool-mist humidifier and try that first.

When you feel you have something to show off about your N. glabrata and N. tentaculata, please do! You may want to post both in this thread, or make a new one of your own, or something. But I am getting a N. tentaculata as well (the Trusmadi form) and will be eagerly awaiting any pics of others' success! Plus, even now, we don't see enough N. glabratas onh the forums.

Oh, I forgot I had better pics as well:

IMG_1118.jpg

IMG_1119.jpg

IMG_1123.jpg

IMG_1124.jpg

Amen to that!
NC isn't too bad for highland neps in the winter, but when summer rolls around the night temps just shoot up.
Please let me know how it goes for you with cooling DroseraBug.

I'm considering a cool mist system. Does anyone know how effectively these lower temps?

Edit: Nice pictures, Jimmy!

Great photos Jimmy.

I'll add some photos here or elsewher soon. I just got my glabrata last week along with a mira and spathulata. Crossing my fingers on the tentac and glabrata. Its currently 61F in the plant room right now with the windows open. I'll update soon with some photos.

Yellowdart,

I'm not sure what cool mist system you want. I use one exo terra fogger along with a misting system/aquarium fan. The chamber I built is insulated 75%. I don't have good growing windows so mine is artificial although in winter I'm using the cool air from the outside as the chamber is backed up against too windows. I close all heat vents in the grow room and shut the door. This keeps the cool air in one room of the house.

The mister, fogger (both of these hooked to timers), and fans get the temps down to ambient quick following the lights turning off for night. I then open the windows and that brings the temps down another 15F from about 75F to 60F. Thats about as good as I can do without ice or hopefully a/c before summer. I'm married so I can't just open all the window. I'm lucky she lets me get one room cool. The fogger and mister really kick the humidity up though and make it look cool. See http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=115625.

I've got a few more plants now and the only one having problems thus far is the spectabilis I guess I should have done better with tranplanting and shock. It's starting to get a couple of brown leaves. I'll post some photos soon either here or elsewhere. Thanks for this thread as I feel it will be helpfull with future good growing. Hope to see the updates on the glabratas soon.

Good growing!

Back