What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. macrophylla (Gunung Trusmadi, Sumatra)

I'm looking at making an order from somewhere far away for this plant but there is two options. One is "Nepenthes macrophylla (Gunung Trusmadi, Sumatra)" and the other is "Nepenthes macrophylla (two plants of diff. clones)". Is there really a difference other then price?

your aloud to name ... since they are foreign, id be a bit careful since many plants coming up are actually the hybrid TM or a very complex hybrid that reverts to looking nearly identical to Macrophylla....Im hoping my seedgrown is a true Macro. i wont know till it pitchers, But i dont imagine there would be too much difference in the plants, maybe a little as far as color goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
im getting some macropylla seeds soon i hope they are pure macs ( please dont pm me about seeds i dont want to trade) as far as i see there is not a difference other then the location data

thanks,
Matt

I got yelled at about saying anything about them too. Well it seems ... knows his neps so I'm pretty confident it is going to be a real macrophylla. Just when there is two different listings it's like what one to get. It's not too cold now so anyone know if they still could be shipped this year?

I posed a similar inquiry about another species, and I got a reply that there really is not much of a difference in ... clones. So, I'm guessing that the two clones are actually just two of the Trusmadi clones, with a discount for buying two. Whether you buy two separate Trusmadi clones or just the two plants of different clones, the chances of getting something other than a macrophylla (i.e. - a macrophylla hybrid) is the same. Unless I am not mistaken.

They are making a shipment in November. It's not too late. Just watch out for the 20EUR shipping charge; if you are making an order, order enough to make it worthwhile! :)

I got yelled at about saying anything about them too.

You got, as you say, "yelled at" because you were talking specifically about trying to find a USA distributor for that overseas vendor. As I explained to you personally, it is always a gray area and the TF moderators are fairly lenient about wholesale distributors overseas since they are not in direct competition with FlyTrapShop. However, when people are obnoxious or attempting to make sarcastic jokes regarding the rules, I will delete any references to any vendor.

Additionally, we don't allow group orders to be discussed publicly for a variety of reasons, but mainly the moderating team wants nothing to do with the potential disasters and the accountability of such an undertaking. What if some member who coordinates it screws everyone else? What if the order goes wrong? What if someone steals money? Steals plants? USDA destroys shipments? For example:

http://pitcherplants.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=general&action=display&thread=2687

What you all do on your own is your business.

xvart.

Last edited:
I'm looking at making an order from somewhere far away for this plant but there is two options. One is "Nepenthes macrophylla (Gunung Trusmadi, Sumatra)" and the other is "Nepenthes macrophylla (two plants of diff. clones)". Is there really a difference other then price?

Ultimately, you have to trust the nurseryman (Wistuba Exotische Pflanzen) in terms of the different clones. I have dealt with Wistuba for several years and have always been pleased with his products and services. I also have Nepenthes macrophylla (the two clones mentioned) as well as a couple from seed (from Australia); and it will be some time before any great differences -- if any -- are ever seen . . .

The "two clones" is two different clones from source material collected at one specific location; Gunung Trusmadi, Sumatra

They are making a shipment in November. It's not too late.

Traditionally his last shipment to the US has always been in October and I have heard reports from a few fellow growers that they are expecting plants from him this week so that may mean the last shipment has come in. Granted, I may be mistaken on that but historically after his October shipment you usually have to wait till late April/early May...

Well I put the order in last night so it would suck if I had to wait til then. Guess I would have to cancel my order then. I guess I see it now how they give you two plants for 70 euros like they have that for 55 euros you get two hamatas. I'll just have to wait and see it's not too cold now to ship them so let's hope they go into November and I did not miss the last one. Do they ship every order seperate or wait until they get enough orders and do one big one?

my understanding is they only come in a couple times a year....otherwise shipping would be outrageous if done any other way.....im sure if you wanted to go through the effort to get the right permits and certificates and pay the extra for shipping he would send yah them whenever.....bringing live plant material in isnt a cut and dried simple process....know of one person that almost got in trouble cause the shipment of plants was short one plant when compared to the packing list sent with......lots of headaches with bringing this stuff in.......

They should list that on their website then I think. So you know if it's June and they won't ship til October people should know. You pay now but don't get for months.

they used to.....would assume its still there somewhere......besides a quick email to Wistuba would get the info straight from the source and eliminate all guessing.....takes as much time to do that as to make a post here......

Most people know that they won't come for a few months...it is like that for most mass distributer(BE, EP, Wistuba, etc.)

They should list that on their website then I think. So you know if it's June and they won't ship til October people should know. You pay now but don't get for months.

It is (or at least used to be, been a while since I checked) on the site that they only do periodic shipments to the US. Plus, as Kristoff said, that is pretty much par for the course with all the overseas vendors and (I thought) common knowledge among Nepers. And they do not actually bill you for your plants until they are scheduled for export so if you order in June and the plants do not ship till Oct then you are not billed till Oct.

besides a quick email to Wistuba would get the info straight from the source and eliminate all guessing.....takes as much time to do that as to make a post here......

Here here!! Seems it would be a lot simpler to just email him and get your questions answered that way than to spend days getting answers and making/getting into arguments here on the boards...

Well I put the order in last night so it would suck if I had to wait til then. Guess I would have to cancel my order then. I guess I see it now how they give you two plants for 70 euros like they have that for 55 euros you get two hamatas. I'll just have to wait and see it's not too cold now to ship them so let's hope they go into November and I did not miss the last one. Do they ship every order seperate or wait until they get enough orders and do one big one?

Usually, Wistuba will only stop shipping when the winter sets in in Europe, for obvious reasons. I have never waited more than six weeks for a shipment from Germany. Typically, an order placed in one month is shipped out the following.

Part of the reason for the infrequent shipping schedule are the byzantine phytosanitary laws in many countries and the sheer costs involved in dealing with many small shipments, rather than bulk shipments . . .

Here here!! Seems it would be a lot simpler to just email him and get your questions answered that way than to spend days getting answers and making/getting into arguments here on the boards...

I found the link to send an email and his guy in the us. Who is getting or making arguments about it?

Woah, woah, guys. I actually put in an order and got a confirmation that I will recieve my plants in November (no specifics). But maybe he did already or will soon ship them out.

Sumatra? Don't you mean Borneo?

Cheers,

Joe

Ah, nice catch there, Joe! Yep, Mount Trus madi is in Sabah, Borneo and not Sumatra. That is, however, how the website lists it.

Woah, woah, guys. I actually put in an order and got a confirmation that I will recieve my plants in November (no specifics). But maybe he did already or will soon ship them out.

How long of a wait was it til you got the confirmation? Maybe if there is one more ship date set then mine will be on. Who knows. One can only hope.

Back