User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: N. macrophylla (Gunung Trusmadi, Sumatra)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

N. macrophylla (Gunung Trusmadi, Sumatra)

I'm looking at making an order from somewhere far away for this plant but there is two options. One is "Nepenthes macrophylla (Gunung Trusmadi, Sumatra)" and the other is "Nepenthes macrophylla (two plants of diff. clones)". Is there really a difference other then price?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    your aloud to name ... since they are foreign, id be a bit careful since many plants coming up are actually the hybrid TM or a very complex hybrid that reverts to looking nearly identical to Macrophylla....Im hoping my seedgrown is a true Macro. i wont know till it pitchers, But i dont imagine there would be too much difference in the plants, maybe a little as far as color goes.
    Last edited by xvart; 10-23-2008 at 05:39 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    im getting some macropylla seeds soon i hope they are pure macs ( please dont pm me about seeds i dont want to trade) as far as i see there is not a difference other then the location data

thanks,
    Matt
    My growlist was updated 4/22/09

"if you hear the pitter patter of little feet while you stare hypnotically at your plants you are in for some trouble."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got yelled at about saying anything about them too. Well it seems ... knows his neps so I'm pretty confident it is going to be a real macrophylla. Just when there is two different listings it's like what one to get. It's not too cold now so anyone know if they still could be shipped this year?
    Last edited by xvart; 10-23-2008 at 05:40 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I posed a similar inquiry about another species, and I got a reply that there really is not much of a difference in ... clones. So, I'm guessing that the two clones are actually just two of the Trusmadi clones, with a discount for buying two. Whether you buy two separate Trusmadi clones or just the two plants of different clones, the chances of getting something other than a macrophylla (i.e. - a macrophylla hybrid) is the same. Unless I am not mistaken.

They are making a shipment in November. It's not too late. Just watch out for the 20EUR shipping charge; if you are making an order, order enough to make it worthwhile!
    Last edited by xvart; 10-23-2008 at 05:40 PM.
    "I'm just a scientist without the proper documentation."

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113724

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMurphy97 View Post
    I got yelled at about saying anything about them too.
    You got, as you say, "yelled at" because you were talking specifically about trying to find a USA distributor for that overseas vendor. As I explained to you personally, it is always a gray area and the TF moderators are fairly lenient about wholesale distributors overseas since they are not in direct competition with FlyTrapShop. However, when people are obnoxious or attempting to make sarcastic jokes regarding the rules, I will delete any references to any vendor.

Additionally, we don't allow group orders to be discussed publicly for a variety of reasons, but mainly the moderating team wants nothing to do with the potential disasters and the accountability of such an undertaking. What if some member who coordinates it screws everyone else? What if the order goes wrong? What if someone steals money? Steals plants? USDA destroys shipments? For example:

http://pitcherplants.proboards34.com...ay&thread=2687

What you all do on your own is your business.

xvart.
    Last edited by xvart; 10-23-2008 at 06:06 PM.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JMurphy97 View Post
    I'm looking at making an order from somewhere far away for this plant but there is two options. One is "Nepenthes macrophylla (Gunung Trusmadi, Sumatra)" and the other is "Nepenthes macrophylla (two plants of diff. clones)". Is there really a difference other then price?
    Ultimately, you have to trust the nurseryman (Wistuba Exotische Pflanzen) in terms of the different clones. I have dealt with Wistuba for several years and have always been pleased with his products and services. I also have Nepenthes macrophylla (the two clones mentioned) as well as a couple from seed (from Australia); and it will be some time before any great differences -- if any -- are ever seen . . .
    “Sì perché l'autorità dell'opinione di mille nelle scienze non val per una scintilla di ragione di un solo . . ."

-- Galileo "Biff" Galilei

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The "two clones" is two different clones from source material collected at one specific location; Gunung Trusmadi, Sumatra

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmy View Post
    They are making a shipment in November. It's not too late.
    Traditionally his last shipment to the US has always been in October and I have heard reports from a few fellow growers that they are expecting plants from him this week so that may mean the last shipment has come in. Granted, I may be mistaken on that but historically after his October shipment you usually have to wait till late April/early May...
    'My love was science- specifically biology and, more specifically, when placed in a common jar, which of two organisms would devour the other.'

See You Space Cowboy

actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat
    Hagerstown, Maryland

--
    actagggcagtgatatcccattggtacatggcaaattagcctcatgat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast