What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. mirabilis low or high? -both?

I have a ton of N. mirabilis 'red lip' seeds. I heard they are lowland, so they are in a heated tank right now, but i reallly want to grow them on my shelf (highland conditions)
i've also heard that the high/low depends on the clone/plant.
will raising them from seed in highland conditions make them more accepting of them?
should i just stick with the lowland tank?
Thanks

btw, if anyone wants to trade for seeds or seedlings...

Hi Alec,

N. mirabilis is a lowlander. I have not heard of it being successfully grown in anything other than lowland conditions, nor do I believe it would tolerate anything besides LL conditions. Plus, even highlander species seeds germinate well under warmer conditions, growing less tolerant of excessive warmth as they get larger.

thanks jimmy, i almost just sowed them in the rack anyway... you saved them haha

i have it growing in ultra highland just fine.

i have it growing in ultra highland just fine.

Really?:scratch: For how long? That's pretty interesting; you are the only grower I know of who had N. mirabilis in HL conditions.

Alec, I guess you could sow some seeds in HL conditions as well, just to see how they do.

a couple weeks. it seems to be doing fine and has made 2 new pitchers

Hmm. Please let us know how that works out long-term, Adam. I'm curious to see how it does!

Mine are growing as lowlanders, in a heated fishtank, right under a Grolite.

DSCF1764.jpg

of505904422.jpg

It would be much more beneficial when discussing lowland/highland, ultra highland or whatever if you list actual day and night temperatures. People have different ideas exactly what they are so it is a generalization at best.

As for your N. mirabilis Adam, what are your actual temperatures? Lets have a look 4 months from now. Two weeks is not enough time in the slightest to claim it is growing just fine as an ultrahighland, and gives others the wrong idea.

my temps are 70-80 during the day and 45-55 at night. around 90% humidity all the time.

should live for a while, but grows much better in the summer with higher night temps. I have one of the same clone you have growing and mine is pitchuring well in temps 80 day-65 night, humidity 70-90%. Very tough plant but I am not sure It would survive long term in ultra highland conditions. That said, I have many lowland neps that are growing well in intermediate to highland conditions for 3+ yrs.

Jumping into this convo a little late but..

I grew a batch of mirabilis from seed a few months ago and they have been in highland conditions and are currently outgrowing my ventrata and all my other "speedy" nepenthes. They are crazy... They are the only thing that pitchers consistently for me regardless of humidity (which is about 20% with the woodstove going). I think a few members remember me trying to unload some of them and I'd love to hear how they all are doing. But I really think it depends on the batch of seed... I know I started mine with heating mats then got lazy and took them off. Only then did they shoot up like rockets.

Hope this helps,
-J.P.

I can not say much about my N. mirabilis (Mekjuang Titi) except that I have nearly 100% germination in highland conditions 7Os during the day and 50s at night. So far about 85% less than that with albomarginata seeds in the same conditions sowed at the same time.

I've heard of folks having great growth with some highlanders in lowlander conditions. I'll give an update in a few months.

Back