Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Thought on Nepenthes villosa...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thought on Nepenthes villosa...

Soooo, I want to try N. villosa, but I don't quite have the conditions, save the humidity. Low 70s - high 60s at day and at night 62-50, I believe. I spray down the tank to make it that chilly (plus ice bottles), but seeing that N. villosa likes temps into the 40s, I don't know what else I could do....

Soooo, I thought of an idea that may work, but not so sure. At day, I'll leave the plant chilling next to the ice bottles where the good, chilly temps are. But, I'll leave a medium size baggie under the plant. When night comes, I pull up the baggie, and place another ice bottle next to it, inside the baggie with the villosa (not closing the baggie) to conceal the cold of the ice bottle to drop the temperature lower. Thoughts? I can do diagrams if confused.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You live in Antartica the plants should be happy enough there? :] j.k uhh if you alrdy said this dont flame me: do thigs as usual in the morning but when it comes to night pull the bag up and put the ice cubes inside? i dunno :]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, that's basically the plan, when it's time to change to the night bottles (an Aquafina bottle and huge Dasani bottle) I will slip another bottle I have into the baggie at night and pull it up to keep the cold inside. When I wake up, I'll take it out and but the baggie down and let it go as any plant in my tank next to the ice bottles.
    http://www.terraforums.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=6789&dateline=1352508752

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That might work for a while, but what do you do after it starts to get big? Or if you have to take a trip away from home? N. villosa is an awesome plant but I think you should stick to growing things that you have the conditions for. If you build a collection with healthy, easy growing plants then you'll be able to get those super-desirable species for cheaper by trading or making friends in the collectors' community.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by seedjar View Post
    That might work for a while, but what do you do after it starts to get big? Or if you have to take a trip away from home?
    Yep, that's the only problem. Villosa is a very slow grower from what I've heard, but it will have to get big...the only thing I could do is use a bigger bag, after that, I'm screwed.

Trips/vacation, I'm screwed. The only thing I could think of is putting it at the windowsill, but that's only possible for winter. During summer, I have no idea, so yeah. That's why I'm still deciding if I should go for it or not. Most likely not, but who knows? Maybe it'll be able to handle a week or two with warmer conditions (Not likely LOL)?

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even though it might work, I would try and wait on getting it. It would be a shame if such a nice plant died because you couldn't take it with you on vacation ;-)
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If only xD

So, I'll try to experiment tonight, see how it is.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    why not keep ice packs under the bags? just keep switching em like 2-3x a day

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast