What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Big Black Spots?

There's large black spots on my N. Madagascariensis's leaves; It doesn't seem to be starting from either the tip or the base of the leaf. It starts from the "outer" part of the leaf though. Am I being paranoid or is this a problem? The plant is only around 2 inches high and sits about 18 inches from 4 32 Watt T8 bulbs + light from the west faving window the rack is set up against. I water it every three days - when the soil looks dry.

Without a picture, it is hard to tell. Perhaps the leaves are simply burned or, else, you may have a case of sooty mold - - which is ugly but not pathogenic to plants. There are products on the market to deal with that . . .

Heres some pictures:

You can see the blackness on the edges of certain areas of the leaves.

Thanks in advance.

When did you get it? I could also be acclimating to your conditions yet I may be wrong. ( I'm not a nep expert)XO

I'm not experienced with many Nep ailments, but this looks like ordinary stress and burning from change in conditions. I've had a number of plants display similar patterns (sometimes a different color than black - a weird dark red on leaves that aren't normally red, etc.) but it's never turned into anything serious. I'm sure some more knowledgeable folks will chime in soon here - in the mean time don't worry too much about it. In the worst case, you've caught it early, so you're on the right track.
~Joe

On your camera setting change it from small to large so it turns to be a big pic.

On your camera setting change it from small to large so it turns to be a big pic.

...You're supposed to click on the images to make it bigger xD

Thanks for the help guys! I must of got it at least a month ago, and it already did the pitchers-dry-up-and-die thing.. Do you think it's still effecting it? The new leaf is getting brown and dried out too.

I doubt it is the light causing it. What are your temperatures, potting mix, type of water etc.

Back