What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Camponotus Ant Mutualism

DroseraBug

Grow Pitcher Plants!
This was fascinating. I've been studying Environmental Bio my whole life and just learned about this on the Science channel. I'm going to let my wife know about this. She is a Bio teacher and it would be a good symbiosis class example of mutualism. Were all of you familiar with this? Learn something new everyday. There is an ant show on the Science channel as we speak that has a section on bicalcarata and camponotus ants. Wonderful photography!. I'm sure it will be on again for those of you with satellite or cable.

This gives a basic review for anyone not familiar. However I do not believe the article mentions how the Nep can benefit. The ants probably reduce the amount of herbivores and herbivory on the pitchers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camponotus_schmitzi

Don't you want a colony? I love ants. I have an ant colony living in a box on my highland rack, but it's not quite the same.
~Joe

Yup, Camponotus is the genus of ant in the us we know as carpenter ants. The ants protect bical (pretty sure it is the only nep, not even its hybrids) because they live in the hollow trendals. Also, I believe this species also dives into the pitcher and steals food.

Yup, Camponotus is the genus of ant in the us we know as carpenter ants. The ants protect bical (pretty sure it is the only nep, not even its hybrids) because they live in the hollow trendals. Also, I believe this species also dives into the pitcher and steals food.

Yep,

Apparently they enjoy peristome sweetness and captured pitcher prey.

Back