Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Camponotus Ant Mutualism

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Camponotus Ant Mutualism

This was fascinating. I've been studying Environmental Bio my whole life and just learned about this on the Science channel. I'm going to let my wife know about this. She is a Bio teacher and it would be a good symbiosis class example of mutualism. Were all of you familiar with this? Learn something new everyday. There is an ant show on the Science channel as we speak that has a section on bicalcarata and camponotus ants. Wonderful photography!. I'm sure it will be on again for those of you with satellite or cable.

This gives a basic review for anyone not familiar. However I do not believe the article mentions how the Nep can benefit. The ants probably reduce the amount of herbivores and herbivory on the pitchers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camponotus_schmitzi
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    Farley Mowat

My Growlist

Let's positive thinking! seedjar's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Don't you want a colony? I love ants. I have an ant colony living in a box on my highland rack, but it's not quite the same.
    ~Joe
    o//~ Livin' like a bug ain't easy / My old clothes don't seem to fit me /
    I got little tiny bug feet / I don't really know what bugs eat /
    Don't want no one steppin' on me / Now I'm sympathizin' with fleas /
    Livin' like a bug ain't easy / Livin' like a bug ain't easy... o//~

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yup, Camponotus is the genus of ant in the us we know as carpenter ants. The ants protect bical (pretty sure it is the only nep, not even its hybrids) because they live in the hollow trendals. Also, I believe this species also dives into the pitcher and steals food.

Grow Pitcher Plants! DroseraBug's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ant View Post
    Yup, Camponotus is the genus of ant in the us we know as carpenter ants. The ants protect bical (pretty sure it is the only nep, not even its hybrids) because they live in the hollow trendals. Also, I believe this species also dives into the pitcher and steals food.
    Yep,

Apparently they enjoy peristome sweetness and captured pitcher prey.
    "And this is what happened, and this is why the caribou and the wolf are one; for the caribou feeds the wolf, but it is the wolf that keeps the caribou strong."
    Farley Mowat

My Growlist