User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Pest help needed, tried systemic insecticide.

Two flies one pitcher. Minus the crap eating. obregon562's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    a mix of neem oil and physan 20 has proven crazy effective for me on neps. applied as a spray on leaves and soaks into the soil. good luck man!
    "It's easy to rip on cops, when you aren't the one needing saving"

My Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Is it whitefly or is it thrips from Hawaii? I will not disclose the vendor but the plant is from hawaii, originally. I bought it from another vendor in the contiguous 48 states and it had noticably problems when I bought it, however all my other plants look okay so I don't think the pest came from my collection.
    Right now I'm leaning towards Caplsock, I believe he probably has more nepenthes than all of you combined. hehe
    view my growlist
    http://grwlist.notlong.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't think it's white fly.
    looks like what I had on my truncata I got from Hawaii. Took forever to kill them off. I don't think sellers should send an infected plant. I think I got rid of them after using ortho a bunch of times, some other powdered insecticide and using alcohol on a q tip. I never saw any flies, just those white things on the plant. They never spread to any other plants.

pics I took of the pest 2 yrs ago

SK-8 OR DIE

growlist

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I read somewhere a while ago about somebody who tried a new technique for pest eradication within terrariums, where it would be a huge pain to remove all the plants, spray insecticide, repeat, etc. It might be beneficial to you here as well. The treatment goes as such, I don't have time to find the original website, but it should turn up fairly easily.

The writer went out and purchased a bit of dry ice, which as you probably all know is the solid form of CO2. Due to the nature of the CO2, the user was able to eliminate all insects through suffocation. He placed the CO2 above his terrarium, and left it there for some time, maybe overnight if I remember correctly. The CO2, being more dense then the air around us, sunk into the terrarium, and displaced all the other gasses within. This was no problem for the plants, since they require CO2 for photosynthesis, but in return, suffocated all the insects. The only issue was ensuring the CO2 gas entering the terrarium without freezing the leaves of the enclosed plants. If these bugs are really persistent against insecticides, this might be an option to consider. Then you could do a short write up afterwards.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whitefly, Hawaiian scale, whatever it is, I can recognize it from a mile away, and I hate the things! They seem to love truncatas and truncata hybrids, by the way, though not exclusively. Anyway, do the things we've recommended here, and CONSIDER simply getting rid of the infected plants completely. I have eradicated them from plants, but they are stubborn as hell.

Capslock
    Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

My photos are copyright-free and public domain

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wikipedia also suggest releasing a ravenous hoard of Ladybugs upon them. That might leave you with another problem though, getting rid of the ladybugs, which I find rather annoying.
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Huh! I have that on two of my plants.

I've been using a fungicide with some affect....fungoil I beleive. I thought it was a fungal infection! Goes to show you...

Well, I will hold my breath and orthene the hell out of the two plants....THEN add the fungoil on top of it.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hmm, I saw something like that on my ventricosa. I just left it and it went away, I can't believe how lucky I was. O_o

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast