Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help me ID this pest

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interesting. Your springtails are different from those I've seen in my collection and others. I would have debated that they are not springtails but the link would quickly prove me wrong. Mine are less bulbous - aka - more torpedo-shaped. They also appear to to be smaller than yours (but that might not be true)... Fast little buggers & hard to photograph ... Good to know about the variability so I won't freak out if I start to see other versions wandering around.

Here's an old pic ...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nightsky View Post
    So, here are the pics from tonight. They are the same critters as in the first post - springtails - they do like to jump- but what are they doing? Are we sure they aren't harmful? They weren't moving much. They'd move a little, then just stop for a couple minutes, then move a little again. First time I've seen them up on the neps.
    Unless your plants are dead, made of poop, bacteria or fungi I don't think you have much to worry about:

"Collembola are polyphagous, in general; some species are saprophagous (decomposed plants), coprophagous (excrements), necrophagous (cadavers), mycetophagous (fungi), bacteriophagous (soil micro-organisms) (Thibaud, 1970:103) or pollinophagous (pollen). Some are predacious. In Sinella coeca and Sinella pouadensis, the adults eat their own eggs, even when there is enough food supply (Thibaud, 1970:132)"

"Ecology: Collembola are soil and litter dwelling, preferring wet or damp surroundings. Collembolans inhabit soil and leaf litter, although some species move actively over the surfaces of bark and flowers in daylight. They may be found in moss, under stones, in caves, in ant and termite nests but also in the intertidal zone on the coast, on the surfaces of lakes and ponds or snow fields of gletjers. Collembolans are major components of terrestrial ecosystems (and particularly significant members of the soil communities), constituting a significant proportion of the animal biomass and are thus frequently and easily found. In forest soils they can reach densities of 200 to 1800 individuals per dm3, densities only surpassed by the acarian soil population (Handschin, 1955). "

http://www.geocities.com/fransjanssens/index.html
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok. Thanks guys. Just got a little worried when I saw them grazing on the neps!

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level DavyJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I've got the long torpedo shaped ones. At first I was a bit nervous, but when you go to squish them and they jump away, you can guess they are springtails. I had the same issue back when I used to keep hermit crabs...
    "We are in a sense the Universe trying to understand itself. By Observing it we are observing what we are." - Phillip Plait

Growlist: Updated 1/11/12 http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=110846

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12