Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Some N. Thorelii in my home

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    isnt it illegal to trade/sell wild collected plants though? even if its not illegal to collect them in your area, distribution might be Phoenix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wow! Admire!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not sure about the collecting-probably depends on where(preserve or un-owned /public area), but he would need CITES and Phyto and we would need two permits.
    Did I see you are rooting the cuttings in full sun? If so, I think mottled sun would work better. Then start introducing them to more light once they root.

Cheers,

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by SirKristoff View Post
    isnt it illegal to trade/sell wild collected plants though? even if its not illegal to collect them in your area, distribution might be Phoenix.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, actually, I think Phoenix said (on the chatbox) that he collects and multiplies these plants lawfully in Vietnam, SK.
    As for distributing these, you gotta realize that there is a lot of relatively recently wild-collected material and seed in cultivation/circulation - including reputed nurseries, i.e., BE. So I doubt it's illegal to ditribute these. Of course, to send them from Vietnam to another country would require the appropriate permits.
    "I'm just a scientist without the proper documentation."

My Growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=113724

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Jimmy, Robert Cantley has a thing called a license. and he would need various licenses and documentation to export to the US. and would it make it right if i randomly went out to Sarawak somewhere and collected hundreds of neps saying im going to multiply them and bring them back? NO because when you do that, you get rid of alot of genetic diversity. its screwed up to even disturb their natural habitat

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, SK, that would not be right at all. You yourself would need documentation to do that - which the big guys have, and can do that. I'm not attacking Rob Cantley by any means; I love BE! Plus, different laws apply (or don't apply) for different places. It's called economics and (more importantly) politics. Most governments of developing countries have "more important" things to care about than genetic diversity of plants that happen to exist in areas that look good for developing...So while it may be "screwed up" that it happens, it happens anyway. As long as people can get the proper paperwork to do something legally, there's no use complaining about it.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just because laws say something, doesnt mean it was good
    for the longest time, VFTs were not protected by law. they are now, but does that mean it was right to remove them from the wild? no

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    just because laws say something, doesnt mean it was good
    Glad we agree on that.

I'm just saying that it can't really be helped unless you have the power to change a development-minded government's views.

for the longest time, VFTs were not protected by law. they are now, but does that mean it was right to remove them from the wild? no
    It wasn't bad to do that back then when no laws were in effect; The law ultimately says what is right and wrong, and when a law is seen as wrong enough in itself to be changed, it is changed, and "not bad" (but perhaps not necessarily good either) may suddenly be turned to "bad." That's all there is to it!

It's important to look at politics as it relates to science/nature, because political control of science/nature has led to many, many notable achievements and tragedies. Science rarely finds its own way. Ethical views of different times are slow at work, while politics get immediate priority.

...And, are you saying it's wrong for people to dig things up in their own backyard? Because, VFTs and Neps actually exist on peoples' properties...But most of the time they are just bulldozed anyway.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast