What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A lower pitcher question

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
I've heard that in N. Rajah, their pitchers can benefit from having a firm bed of moss to rest on and develop. I was wondering if this would hold true for all terrestrial pitcher plants, and or lower pitchers. Specifically for N. Bicalcarata. The Bicals are swamp plants that at least start wiht a hearty base of lower pitchers that dominate that ground below them. So I look at my relatively small plant and wonder if it's lower pitchers couldn't use to have at least something to rest upon.

I mean it only seems natural, since lower pitchers are designed to be hunters on the ground. Has anybody noticed any difference between their lower pitchers preferably in the smae species or even more preferable in N.Bicalcarata when they are grown wiht contact to the ground or whenjust grown hanging?

I have high hopes for this next lower pitcher, it looks like i tshould be a beauty.

Hi, it seems to me alot of neps will start to inflate a pitcher when it is being supported but, not all neps need it. I have noticed my amp likes having something supporting it while my bical and all my other neps could care less.

I think a lot of neps will benefit from resting pitchers on moss. Most of the pics of rajah have the pitchers resting on moss. Bicals will pitcher in the air as long as conditions are correct.
peace,
Zero

The topic is a bit of a controversy. Just about everyone agrees that there's no harm at all in "cushioning" your lower pitchers and some say it even helps production of bigger pitchers. I'd say it does since a tendril around cool moss is more likely to have ideal conditions -- high humidity and the like -- than a pitcher "hovering" in mid air. On the other hand, I've seen many, many beautiful hanging plants with HUGE pitchers so it's nothing to worry about if you can't do it.

i think its almost personal prference mor ethan anything. Some prefer the natural "resting on moss" look, and swear by it. others dont care that much haha.

Back