What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N. Raff on a windowsill?

DavyJones

Is ready to take this hobby to a whole new level
After looking around and doing some research, it seems that N. Raff is fairly forgiving when it comes to temp/humidity after it gets acclimatized. But reading is different from people's personal experience. Do you all believe that one could grow one on a windowsill, facing normal temps of high 60s to mid 70s, and humidity fluctuating around the 50s and 60s, or would one be issuing a death sentence?

mine crisped within 2 days of putting it on my table while i was setting up my terra. but it was grown in a GH, so it's different i guess. i don't really know.

Halt i think yours did that because you didnt acclimate it. Davy, im sure you could grow one there no prob :p

i was trying to set up my terra in time :O

nice siggy, too bad 12-1-09 didn't happen yet.

edit: pshhhaw, i was testing people :)

I've never tried but I'm curious as well. My Raff is quickly starting to outgrow my terrarium.

Halt: I believe Sirkristoff's sig is correct. It is being written as a European date. Day/Month/Year. But I may be wrong.

I am.

It's doing well. In fact, it grows near my N. glabrata, N. hamata, N. tentaculata, and N. mantalingajanensis. Pitchering, putting out new leaves, the whole works. Elgecko has a large, vining Raff that is simply legendary - grown in his window.

Just make sure it's acclimated correctly, and you should be fine.

Elgecko has a large, vining Raff that is simply legendary - grown in his window.

Well hopefully he'll come along and throw up some pics, like he always does.

Sometimes I think he does it just to make us all jealous. :-))

Yes, my sig is set up as the european way. since i am from Norway, its a bit of a habit that i have to break.

Can A ventrata grow on a windowsill?

Window sills are fine for a time, but in our temperate zone they stop pitcher in from fall through spring, ~6 months, without artificial lighting to supplement what they are not getting.

I have had 2 raff growing on windowsills just fine. One is just a small plant ~10cm across the other was 60cm tall and about the same across...

After looking around and doing some research, it seems that N. Raff is fairly forgiving when it comes to temp/humidity after it gets acclimatized. But reading is different from people's personal experience. Do you all believe that one could grow one on a windowsill, facing normal temps of high 60s to mid 70s, and humidity fluctuating around the 50s and 60s, or would one be issuing a death sentence?
I seem to recall that elgecko's 'magic window' conditions are in this ballpark.

Here's what happened to mine when I moved it to a very un-humid window after terrarium life:

- immediately dried out leaves, curled up to a crisp. The new tendril stayed hydrated though.
- After something like 3 months, the leaf had opened all the way.
- maybe 6 months after moving it to the sill, it sent out a pitcher.
- Continued to grow slowly, sending out a pitcher every 4 months or so. The pitchers were HUGE though.

So basically it will probably survive and pitcher for you, but not like the ones you see in the hothouses.

Back