What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keeping Nepenthes Indoors

So I made the decision that I want to start keeping some Nepenthes indoors but I am not sure what kind I should keep (If they will survive) in the following conditions:

Near a sunny window, avg daytime temp of 67-73 (winter and summer conditions in my home, adjustable thermistat) and Avg nightly temps of 67-71. I would like the biggest or most colorful that I could keep in these conditions, if that is even a possiblity.

BTW- I have experience with sarrs and VFT but they are all outside in bog gardens (Never indoors)

Thanks!

My best windowsill plant is N. khasiana. Once you get it acclimated, it will take off in those conditions.

about half the neps i grow grow in windowsill like conditions. N. fusca, mira, sanguinea, 'Sabre', 'Peter D'Amato', clipeata x eymae, ventricosa x spectabilis, rafflesiana(for a bit) truncata HL and a red form of alata. lots of the pretty ones can be grown as such. you just have to get advice and see what works for other people =]

Alex

whats the humidity like where yah want to put the plant? i can rattle off a huge list that will grow in a window sill.....getting them to pitcher reliably in real low humidity is a whole nother issue........

As long as you have enough light in your windowsill, your Nepenthes should grow and pitcher fine after they adjust initially - pretty much regardless of humidity.

not really......some species most defiantly need good humidity to pitcher reliably and produce good pitchers.....lots of light but 20% humidity and bongso and 'Miranda' wont pitcher, im sure there are plenty of others but i can speak of first hand experience....

N. khasiana would be my first recommendation as it has done the best for me in conditions similar to those you have. It grows pretty quick too. There are a lot of hybrids which will do well, my fav at the moment is N. maxima x ventricosa.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I actually have no idea what the humidity is in the house but in the same room is a 75 gallon tank, so i assume the humidity would be the greatest in that room. I guess I would need to get a Hygrometer in order to measure that. Any suggestions for where i could buy one one the cheap(hopefully i am not breaking any rules since this is not about buying cps)?

Try Home Depot or Lowes as they used to sell digital and analog thermometer/hydrometer combos with suction cups. Very reasonably priced and accurate within +/- 5%. I currently use one in each of my terrariums.

Try ventrata. Can't go wrong with that weed.

Back