What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Madagascarius?

Hey so i ordered a few plants umm almost a month ago. Anyways it included a free pack of nepenthes seeds I believe it was Madagascar something. I plopped the seeds in a pot of good soil and they haven't grown. It's been two weeks and I don't see any signs of growth. Are they dead? :(

Don't give up! Nep seeds can take awhile, sometimes months. I think madagascar...however the name is, is a lowlander. Although, I've never grown neps from seed, so I can't really help.

Now when you say good soil... you mean?

Just keep them evenly moist. Depending on how fresh they are they could be past their prime. But I find the most important thing is seed to substrate connection. These are not my words but the seed's connection with the "soil" is really important.

From what you said, it sounds like you might have buried them? It is better if they are sown directly on the substrates surface, and kept warm and moist. They can also take a long time to germinate, especially if they weren't exactly fresh.

That would be N. madagascariensis.

And whatever you do, do NOT pronounce it wrong or Phil will take a pair of sharp forceps and pluck out your eyelashes and nose-hairs one by one till you say it right.

Mever mess with Nep grammar :evil:

And whatever you do, do NOT pronounce it wrong or Phil will take a pair of sharp forceps and pluck out your eyelashes and nose-hairs one by one till you say it right.
Speaking from experience again dear boy? LOL! I've wondered why the last few times we spoke...this evening in fact..that you haven't spoken any latin plant names to me. It's just as well....isn't it?

Well bro.. the memory of your face crinkling, shoulders arching, teeth grinding, and the godawful groan you make every time I butcher a name, is quite enough motivation for me to stick with the common names and leave the latin alone.. lol

Good grief, was I THAT obvious? ROFLMAO!! Please say Nepenthes aristolochioides so everyone can enjoy...like I have!

Thanks guys! They're right on top of the soil i kinda wooshed it around a little so they aren't exactly buried. Its like a mixture of peat moss and some planting soil. I'll keep it moist and hope for the best!

"Some planting soil"? You mean regular garden soil?

Back