What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

pitcher formation question

Dexenthes

Aristoloingulamata
So it seems like in pitchers of past i remember them forming the same for the most part. The tendril falls and the deflated pitcher is nearly parallel to the tendril. (If you guys know what I mean?)

Anyway the last two pitchers on my Bical have formed differently, though they still produced lowers. The deflated pitchers moves starts tilting to one side or the other, breaking its parallel line with the tendril. Do you guys get what Im saying?

Is this a trait conducive of mature plants, or upper pitchers or the transition between the two?

Maybe I just notice things way too much... :poke:

I think I know what you're saying. The tendril is on a different part of the pitchers? Any pictures? It's normal, just getting older and such.

No pics, sorry. But it's not really on a different place, it's just that the pitcher tilts towards the side, it tends to happen overnight. One day it will be straight, and when I awake the next day it is bent over almost like it's trying to find something to wrap around or something.

Might I add how absolutely nuts it is how fast this plant is growing, Yesterday it's newest leaf was just a little sprig in the last one, and now its grown out about two centimeters away from the leaf.

I know what you mean, it is just something random I think that gets magnified the larger the plant is. So yes you just notice things too much. :p

It happens to a lot of neps with those long as hell tendrils. The pitcher just kinda grows more in one direction off the tendril then adventually straightens out. Dobt pay much mind to it. You'll notice the transition in pitchers from lower to intermediate to uppers when the tendril starts moving to the side of the pitcher then the back. Not too sure what the intermediates are like on bicalcarata

On some plants the intermediates look just like lower pitchers, the only difference being the angle of the bend in the tendril. It just means that your pitcher plant is becoming an adult... *sniffle* They grow up so fast!
~Joe

psyche! Now today it's grown back almost perfectly aligned with the tendril again. (with big drops of nectar protruding from the tendril, too). The newer leaf must have put on like another 3 cm since yesterday.

This is the only CP I've ever had that I can actually say is growing up so (too) fast. Such an itty bitty terrarium for such a big plant...

Hopefully this pitcher will be impressive! The leaf certainly is, I'll post pics in a few weeks when she's out. :D

Hehe. Bicals are huge...I'm gonna try one this summer I think

My N x Mixta does that too, but it always inflates the pitcher normally.

Hehe. Bicals are huge...I'm gonna try one this summer I think
Just make sure you have a massive area that you can constantly heat to 80 - 90 degrees and have constant 80% humidity. :D

Oh wait look at that Macrophylla of yours! That should be no problem. ;)

Back