What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

raff seedling........pure or hybrid? thoughts?

once again here is my oddball raff seedling with "bronze" leaves, all the other seedlings were green........

IMG_1012.jpg

IMG_1010.jpg

IMG_1011.jpg

Hmm, I'm not the best Raff expert, but maybe some more familiar people can confirm/deny my assumptions:

Is that typical pitcher shape for a raff, I always thought they were much more pronounced, even as seedlings.
The peristome seems pretty ridged, I don't know if that's usual for a raff especially as a seedling.
I dont know though! I could be wrong onboth counts. Either way, if it is pure species, that could be a cultivar of some sort, I love reddish nepenthes leaves.

The peristome looks kind of different, or is that how the other seedlings are?

i have a hard time comparing cause the other seedlings are atleast 50% smaller than this one(hybrid vigor?)..........i forget what all Pyro said could be the pollen donors, just that the male raff was the closest so it was the most likely but there were other males flowering in the same general area.....

I love reddish nepenthes leaves

if only it was reddish.....its brownish, i call it bronze cause thats what comes to mind when i look at it

anyways its an oddball that popped up in 50 some seedlings......

I love the seedling, if it is a hybrid I will happily take it off your hands! Since it was open pollination it may very well be a chance hybrid, no way anyone is gonna be sure until it puts out a fully mature pitcher.

I don't think so - mine all look like pure raffs.

Yours is very large! What's it been, two years?

In order of proximity the males were:

raff
bical
truncata
alata

The "bronze" is not unusual, I have a confirmed raff that has bronze/maroon leaves

i know raff's can have other than green leaves.....just calling it the oddball cause its the only one that i know of so far thats had other than green leaves in the batch of seeds you sent out.....i find it interesting that its growing a heck of alot faster than any of its siblings that are growing along side it aswell...

judging by the diversity in seedling I've got, all four of the possible fathers may have contributed pollen.

one with bronze leaves.

IMG_7358.JPG

the oddball

IMG_7198.JPG

The last one I think looks like it could be have an alata father, by the shape of the pitcher. Then again, the peristome looks kind of wide and the pitcher shape would not exclude Truncata, maybe?

I wouldn't rule out Bical as the father of the OP. Its pretty squatish.

Back