What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

N lowii care tips

Hi guys

Sooo i again will be getting a lowii if the supplier actually has one....So any of you got any tips for it?? Really appreciate your help..I'm gonna put it in my highland terr..Temps in the day are around 27-30C and nights around 13-15C Humidity is a problem for me i can't seem to have any higher humidity other then 75+% day humidity is around 65 and above most probally around 70% Because the terr is in the house the humidity doesn't move much...So any tips?

Ken

your humidity is likely fine.....other than being a rather slow grower, so long as it gets a dip in temps at night i havent heard of it being especially difficult.....ive got some rather small ones at the moment that are happily growing with less of a temp drop than you have......

i grew mine as an intermediate for the first....5 months or so i had it. and it grew and pitchered fine.
but now im growing it as an ultrahighland plant and its slowii reputation is starting to show...id just give it average highland conditions, and a good airy soil mix.
good growing :)

Hi guys

So i guess since my temps are typical highland conditions and so are the humidity then okay thanks pics of it will help and appreciated.....So when will it start showing the constricted pitchers other then the normal young pitcher?

Ken

the humidity is fine.....as for when it will do the constricted pitchers.......depends on the size of your plant now but be prepared to wait.....its going to be prolly 4 or 5 years, maybe longer......least thats my guess, i know its going to be a long darn time before i see them on my lil plants......but thats why yah have other plants, makes the waiting on one more bearable........

N. lowii is a beautiful thing! It seems to be a fairly slow grower for everyone. For me the Mt. Kinabulu form grows the quickest, but I don't know if this is a geographical variation or just the particular clone. Glad to see seedlings such as those shown by rattler. This may lead to more vigorous plants.

On a somewhat different subject, take a look at Manders' chart, if you haven't already. Of course it's just some general guidelines, but what I find most interesting is that some plants that should be difficult in my conditions thrive and outperform plants that should be "easier". Anyway, I appreciate Manders putting this info together and sharing it.
http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=29981

my lil lowii's are TC plants not seed grown, they just arent from the regular sources..........

no problem your not the first....given they are smaller than most are sold at more than a few have assumed they are seed grown.......prolly dont help that i saw lowii seed for sale with in the last few months aswell and im sure im not the only one that saw them....rather easy to jump to that conclusion....

im just making sure that someone doesnt think that i have something i really dont....and they are stock that originated from TC here in the states and not over seas so they are different than most that are floating around....course from the couple major overseas TC places they list atleast 24 clones of lowii between them so its not like there isnt any variation already out there.....

my lowii arent anything special.....they is just tiny at the moment :D

Lowiis start making those weird pitchers after they start climbing. They like a good airy mix, cool temperatures, and so-and-so humidity. Mt. Kinabalu clones are rumored to grow faster.

I like Lowii, I kind of want to get one. I'm torn up between that or eppiphiata... They look so similar, and I do like some of the characteristics of a little mor ein the lower pitchers. But lowiis uppers are a bit more constricted right?
Who thinks a lowii would be more worth it in the long run?

I had the same problem deciding between the two. You can always just do what I did....get both!

Lol yeah, I've got both too. I got lowii first, since imo. Its lowers look better than ephippiata which is very tubby and has a dome shaped lid, while lowii is more elongated with a normal flat lid, the bristles on lowii are a lot more crazy on lowii too. And yes ephippiata's waist is a lot less constricted than lowii's in the climbing stage. I was under the impression that the Mt. Trusmadi variety of lowii was the faster one, but I could be wrong, and probably am lol.

I'd be hard-pressed to pick. Definitely as far as uppers go, lowii's got the win, but right now, they both have their up sides. I like the domed lid on the ephippiata, the striped lip, and the tubbier shape. My lowii's not showing the hairs, yet, but the pitchers seem to be more cylindrical, but are colored a gorgeous burgundy. The ephippiata's growing at a significantly faster pace, opening two pitchers in just over the time it took my lowii to open one...but I've only had them a little over a month, so we'll see where that goes.

I think if I really had to pick, I'd grab the lowii, just for those uppers, though!

Boy will I have the post of a lowii fans lifetime in a few days. I have both developing at the same time. I have some of the best pictures ive taken of small ephippiatas pithchers the delicate intricate hairs are amazing. my lowii spat out its lower hairs and is now changing colors from deep red to purple.. oh boy I am getting excited for it to open.

I'd go with Lowii, though it grows slower.

honestly i would just get both....what ever one yah run across for sale pic up first and get the other down the road......both are quite interesting......planning on getting ephi again this spring.......

my lowii is still growing well for me. ive had it since sept 07 and its grown maybe 5 leaves or so. its not fast...at all. it ties for slowest growing with my highland truncata which i have had the same amount of time as my lowii...but hasnt increased in diameter or development. anyways. lowii is a great plant. my latest pitcher is about 2 months old and its got alot of lid hair. which is awesome =]

Alex

Lowii is pretty forgiving. i love mine, currently is inflating a pitcher after the other two died off from what im assuming was a lack of neutrients, but now that im fertilizing it, its picking up speed
Nepupdates3-3-09006.jpg

Back